iMessage - travel with temp SIM

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by tildesley, Dec 2, 2012.

1. tildesley macrumors regular

hi, is it possible in imessage, to go on holiday, change the sim to a local one with data access but keep the same number so i can still get my imessages on my home number?

i thought this was possible but don't think it is now but thought i'd check.

2. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

the sim would have it's own number, you would need to have the number ported to the new sim and you're not gonna be doing that.

if they send the imessage to your email address then you will still get it though.

3. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

that was my thinking, but before that i thought i could get around it by using the my own number option, guessing that wont work.

if i personal hotspot thru my other half's phone, that should work right? tried it with my laptop before & the internet worked...

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Even in airplane mode I still get iMessages to my cell number...I'm currently in Thailand haven't missed a message yet..check your "receive at" settings

5. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

you must have some form of data connection then, i'm planning on putting my phone in data off mode, then wifi connecting it to the other half's phone, by keeping the same sim, the same number will remain. just a question of it will play nice now.

ps. im going thailand too :p

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Yeah I'm on wifi at my hotel and at the various bars and restaurants...weather's gorgeous!