Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I did a full erase + reset of my 3gs. Running 6.1.3.
Trying to activate iMessage and I get "waiting for activation". A few seconds later, an SMS arrives that looks like:
?????@@REG-RESP?v=3;r=xxxxxxxxx;n=+44xxxxxxxxxxxxx;s=xxxxxxxxxxx

From what I understand , this is the configuration information that iMessage needs. But for whatever reason, it's coming through as text to me rather than data to the app.

I have followed many guides online to get iMessage working. I have reset all contents and data on the phone and set it up as a new phone, not connected it to any Apple service and then activate iMessage. Same thing - an SMS comes in and iMessage doesn't activate.

I've spent 4 hours looking at this. Also spoke to O2 and they say nothing is wrong with my account so it should work.

Please help!

Dee2001

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
I'm having the exact same problem with my 5s on O2. Keep getting the configuration information as texts. I'm wondering if it's an O2 problem as there was a carrier update today.

I've ordered a 3 nano sim just to check and see.

Dee2001

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
When I was trying to get iMessage working I restored to a fresh copy of 7.0.1 and iTunes told me that there was a carrier update.

Dee2001

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009
Well strange that you said that - I just tried an Orange sim and it activated ok. I was concerned that might have been part of the issue - swapping the sims around.

Didn't know about the carrier update - where'd you see this?

Edit - seems quite a few of us are having this issue:
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-...ssage-on-iOS-7-not-working/td-p/531514/page/1

They've figured out what was causing it at that link you posted.

Seems if you use TuGo it stops the silent text reaching iMessage. Deleted my TuGo account and iMessage is now working.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
They've figured out what was causing it at that link you posted.

Seems if you use TuGo it stops the silent text reaching iMessage. Deleted my TuGo account and iMessage is now working.

Yeap, that also worked for me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.