Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ki7hy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I woke up this morning to a message saying the account "Louis" is using my email addresses and I don't know who "Louis" is. Is there somewhere to manage and delete certain accounts using iMessage email addresses or phone numbers?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-02 at 8.23.09 AM 2.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-02 at 8.23.09 AM 2.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 288

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Have you sold an old phone or iPad recently? It's important to make sure iMessage is disabled on any old device.

I had this when I sold my iPhone 4S, where my email addresses were still associated with my old phone. Fortunately, I sold my phone to a friend, so I got him to log out of iMessage, Facetime and his Apple ID and I did the same on all my devices. I then logged back into them all on my devices and had him log into his Apple ID and enable iMessage and Facetime and that sorted it.

I've read numerous articles where people have had devices stolen and the stolen device still receives all their messages. It's a huge problem and one which it seems impossible to address at present.

ki7hy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Have you sold an old phone or iPad recently? It's important to make sure iMessage is disabled on any old device.

I had this when I sold my iPhone 4S, where my email addresses were still associated with my old phone. Fortunately, I sold my phone to a friend, so I got him to log out of iMessage, Facetime and his Apple ID and I did the same on all my devices. I then logged back into them all on my devices and had him log into his Apple ID and enable iMessage and Facetime and that sorted it.

I've read numerous articles where people have had devices stolen and the stolen device still receives all their messages. It's a huge problem and one which it seems impossible to address at present.

I did actually. Sold my old iPhone 4S I just sent a text to the buyer so let's see if that does anything. I have also changed the password for the email account(s) and when I handed off the phone it had been reset to factory using the "erase all settings and data". Not good enough I suppose?

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I did actually. Sold my old iPhone 4S I just sent a text to the buyer so let's see if that does anything. I have also changed the password for the email account(s) and when I handed off the phone it had been reset to factory using the "erase all settings and data". Not good enough I suppose?

As I found out, an erase is not enough, you need to turn iMessage and Facetime off and then log out of your Apple ID.

Really, Apple need to provide some means of managing the devices associated with your Apple ID, so you can select one and remove it.

ki7hy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
As I found out, an erase is not enough, you need to turn iMessage and Facetime off and then log out of your Apple ID.

Really, Apple need to provide some means of managing the devices associated with your Apple ID, so you can select one and remove it.

I changed the password, I'm hoping this is good enough for the time being, still trying to research this a bit more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.