iMessage unification gone wrong.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by calvy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

I attempted to unify my iPhone 4s running ios6 beta 3 and my macbook air running Mountain Lion, hoping that I could text people via my MBA, and have it look like all communication was coming from my phone #. It appears now, from reading on this and the iOS dev forums, that this isn't possible. So i give up.

But now all texts I send to other iphone users show as coming from my email address, even though I have my iPhone set to start new conversations via my phone number. Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't want people seeing my email address as the sender.

2. xhArRiSoNxD, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012

xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

I tried this the other day. I thought that I could text on my Mac and it would come from my iPhone number but only my email comes up.

Edit. Did you try deleting the conversation then starting a new conversation and texting the same person? I had that problem and that fixed it.

3. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Good question. I haven't tried. I did try starting a new conversation with the person, but it of course appended it to the old conversation with that contact. I hate to delete all of our texts, but I guess I should just let go of that desire.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

This seemed to fix the issues I had as well.. It was weird though cause my wife and I share my apple id and all of a sudden a day or two after that, she was getting messages from me (but showing from her?) I managed to get that sorted by adding her email and deleting mine through her phone, but I think it's odd we never had one issue for months until I set up iMessage on my MacBook.

5. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

My guess is since unification is really scheduled to start with iOS 6, there will be a patch released on either GM day or release day that will patch Mountain Lion to unify messages there too.

6. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't see why people think this. If I'm already running iOS6 and Mountain Lion, then it should work as it's going to on launch day. And I bet you anything we will all be disappointed to find out you can't make it look like you are sending from you phone # on your Mac. But I most certainly hope I am wrong and you are right.

BTW, I finally got my text messages working properly by deleting all the email addresses associated with my iMessage.