iMessage Unification on iOS6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by anyjungleinguy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. anyjungleinguy, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

anyjungleinguy macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the unification of caller IDs works ok in iOS6? Does it solve all the syncing issues?

I've got beta 2 installed on my iPhone 4. On my iPad 2 I've got the latest stable release.

I kept iMessage tuned off on my iPad because of the syncing and caller ID issues.

EDIT: never mind, looks like both have to be on iOS6 - I.E having iPhone on 6 and iPad on 2 won't unify the ID.

2. tann macrumors 68000

So does this mean that on iOS 6 they will be unified? Because it was a pain before when some were sending iMessages from email addresses (so I couldn't just revert to text on that conversation) and some used phone numbers (as the caller id's). iMessage was just a big confusion for me and my friends lol.

3. newagemac macrumors 68020

Yes, they are unified in iOS6. You can enter a phone number for iMessage on your Mac, iPad, or iPod so it doesn't matter what method the other person uses to contact you or what way you started the conversation. Same goes for FaceTime.

4. tann macrumors 68000

Yes!! This is awesome!

5. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

I managed to get this working through my iPad by toggling iMessage off and back on, but I can't manage to do that with the messages app on Mountain Lion. Anyone have it working on iMessage on latest Mountain Lion? How did you do it?

6. ProphetX macrumors regular

I got it working. Just by turning it on and off. Just know that it will only start syncing when your either initiate or reply to an iMessage.

7. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Odd. I've shut it off and on so many times, ML Messages app doesn't register the phone number.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

This is one of the features that I am really looking forward to and this is good to hear. It was a pain having 2 different threads for 1 person depending on if they were using their phone number or iMessage account.

Also looking forward to iMessage on the Mac to be out of beta, but that's another topic :rolleyes:.

9. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

iPad 1 and "new" iPhone?

I'm curious to know how this will work for those of us with an iPad 1 on iOS 5 and an iPhone on iOS 6. I'll likely be getting the next iPhone when it's released this fall, so I'll (finally) have iMessages on my iPhone. I assume then that iMessages will sync up with between my iPad and iPhone, as it's currently done on iOS 5.

However, since my iPad will be running 5, does that mean messages sent from it will display my email address, while messages sent from my iPhone will display my phone number? If that's the case, does that mean that conversations will appear on both of my devices as a single recepient's name, while my messages from iPad will appear under one name on a friend's phone and from my iPhone under another name? In other words, on my iPad/Phone, "Person X" has one entry, while on "Person X's" iPhone, iMessages from my iPad are "Entry 1," while messages from iPhone are "Entry 2." Can someone clear this up for me?

Small details like this make me peeved the iPad 1 isn't getting iOS 6; wish Apple would include things like unification in a smaller iOS 5 release for iPad 1...

10. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Yeah I imagine being on 5 will prevent the sync up. I had both my old iPhone 4 and iPad 3 on iOS 6, and I got a new 4S that was on 5.1.1. For the couple days before I upped my phone back to 6, the synching was utterly broken. Introducing iOS 5 back into the mix prevents it from working.

I agree it's pretty ****** that Apple is artificially blocking iOS 6 from iPad 1's. They can't even claim some technical limitation, since it runs on the much slower iPhone 3GS. It's just a dick move.

11. newagemac macrumors 68020

The iPad 1 is not as capable as the 3GS. They both have similar hardware however the 3GS only has to push to a measly 320X480 screen while the iPad is using basically the same hardware pushing to 1024x768. More than twice the pixels with the same hardware. The retina iPad hardware is much more powerful than the iPad 2 but since it has so many more pixels to push, the performance is the same.

Any device that is available immediately before a large jump in the resolution is going to have a longer life span for updates than usual. You can probably expect the iPad 2 to have a long life span for the same reasons as the 3GS.

12. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

Do you think iMessage will sync up as I've described then, with conversations appearing simultaneously on phone and pad at least? I've conceded email/phone number unification, but I'll be pretty upset if I'm deprived of a feature currently available on iOS 5. I'm not intending to upgrade my iPad any time soon either.

Honestly, Apple could just bundle iMessage unification, the new iPad clock app, new iTunes/App Store, and color scheme alterations and call it iOS 5.2, but then I guess some of the luster would come off iOS 6. Oh well.

13. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Well it will be awhile before we have a definitive answer, but I imagine that you will be able to get the messages sent to your phone number on your phone and your mac, but your iPad 1 with iOS 5 will probably not get them. Just based on my experience with throwing iOS 5 into the mix that's my thought. In the end they may figure out how to extend the support backwards, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

14. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

The 3GS continues to get updates because (as many have said) it's still sold, subsidized by AT&T/Apple, as as an extremely affordable (see: free) smart phone. Providing it with the latest software, despite an abundant absence of features is smart business sense. The iPhone 4 is likely to take its place when the next iPhone is released this fall, and iOS 6 will be the 3GS's last major update. Unless Apple creates a similar scheme with the iPad 2, it's probable that it too will suffer a similar fate as iPad 1 (not necessarily in the next year, but at a time when it could still run some, if not most, of the latest iOS release's features.)

The 3GS gets iOS 6 because of this sales scheme more than anything hardware-related. If this was truly hardware-related, Apple would just scale back the features iPad 1 received, much as it's doing with iOS 6 with the iPhone 4. No iPad 1 owner would expect Siri, Apple Maps' "flyover" feature, etc., but Facebook integration, iCloud tabs in Safari, iMessage integration? These features are reasonable on a device with what is still a decent processor, especially one that users are not likely to update as frequently as a phone.

----------

Thanks for your responses. I suppose I won't be surprised either way, and it's likely I'll send messages more frequently from my iPhone and Mac than my iPad, so some unity in that mix will be nice.

Does anyone with an iPad running iOS 5 and an iPhone running iOS 6 Beta have any insight?

15. newagemac macrumors 68020

That's not very likely the reason why at all. I know there is a bunch of people on forums saying that "the iPad 1 has the same hardware as the 3GS so it should get the update". But that shows the general public's lack of understanding about hardware. It is definitely the case that with the iPad 1's screen/hardware combination, it is lacking in performance compared to the 3GS. And that is all because of the number of pixels it has to push.

I'm not sure why you think it's not a hardware thing when that is the obvious answer as well as Apple's stated reason why. I remember when the iPhone 3G got the iOS4 update. And even though they cut a BUNCH of features from iOS4 just so it could be updated, it still ran slow as a dog because of the update and people complained A LOT. I don't think Apple wants to do that to its customer again.

And it's just not worth the effort when they could be spending that effort on making iOS6 and iOS7 better instead of trying to recode them to work with pretty old devices that can't handle it as is. People are already complaining about a reduced feature set for the iPhone 4 because it can't smoothly handle things like the 3D maps. Even my iPad 2 struggles with it a bit so I can see why the iPhone 4 doesn't offer that feature. Heck, people are complaining about the iPad 1 now being slow on iOS5! I'd imagine iOS6 would turn the iPad 1 into a repeat of the iPhone 3G with iOS4.

Now if on older hardware the new software works "as is" smoothly and fluidly like we come to expect from iOS but Apple purposely prevents it from being updated then you would have a point. But that's not the case here. I'm sure jail breakers will put it on the iPad 1 anyway though and you can then experience the slow buggy reality of the situation all you want. :D

16. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

IPad 1 has A4 clocked higher than iPhone 4. Better comparison than to 3GS.

17. Cscottrun macrumors 6502

I posted this in another thread but I figure this thread is also a good place to post this.

I believe I figured this out, at least this is what worked for me. Your apple ID is indeed associated with your phone number, but it is not automatically associated, you must set it.

Note: This is to associate your number with your iPad only, not for messages for mac.

1. Navigate to the manage your apple id page. (Or simply click the link below).
    https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...localang=en_US

2. Log into the apple id you associate with iMessage. Note that this account could be different then the account you use to purchase your apps. To be sure, on your iPhone or iPad, go to settings, then messages, then send & receive, you r apple id should be listed at the top of that page.

3. Once you logged into your apple id, on the left side, click phone numbers. This is the important part. Make sure that your iPhone number is listed under mobile phone. Personally, I had nothing listed and once I added my number and saved, everything worked.

4. It should be working at this point, but just incase, toggle iMessage on and off on your iPad and iPhone.

Again, this solved all my problems. Its entirely possible that it just coincidentally began working after I did that, but it'll be interesting to see if these steps do get it working for people. Let us know.

18. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

does it give you some sort of confirmation on your ipad that it is linked with your phone number, or did you get one sent to your phone that also went to your ipad

19. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

Thank you for posting this. It looks like my phone number is already associated with my Apple ID, and I'm pretty sure anyone who gets an iMessage from my iPad now sees my @me address as the name. Is there a setting I'm not aware of that I can toggle to where my phone number rather than my @me address will appear as my ID in iMessages? Or is this what iOS 6 is for?

20. mrsan macrumors newbie

Change of phone number

I understand in iOS 6 the apple id and phone number are unified and its a welcome change for people who have iPhone and iPad and mac. But now my question is, how is change of phone number handled? say I got my phone number and apple id unified and now I got a new number, will it automatically take care of removing the association from old number and then associate with the new one automatically?