iMessage use not reflected in usage time

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sunking101, Apr 5, 2015.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I've been in an iMessage convo for three hours and yet my usage time is showing as only 17 minutes. My battery has depleted considerably and the messaging app shows in my usage stats as the top dog, but the usage time is all wrong. This is the first time I've ever had such a long iMessage exchange and for all my other apps, the usage time always tallies. Is this just a blip?

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Probably just logging the time it's actually sending and/or receiving. i.e. data transfer only.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Why is screen time not reflected then?

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Why would it be? The data has already been transferred. The device doesn't know if you are looking at the screen or in the next room with the tablet laying on a table. Only activity such as the actual data transfer after touching a link or receiving a text gets recorded.

5. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

What I mean is that my screen was on the whole time I was engaged in the iMessage conversation. That normally counts as usage time even if you're just sat looking at your homescreen doesn't it?

6. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

I have seen the same behavior with Phone calls. Can make an hour phone call 1st thing in the morning and look later and maybe show 10 min total usage. That seems to have been corrected in 8.3 though. Not really seen that. The stats about which apps were used do not seem to get immediately updated either even since this feature was enabled. It seems to take a bit for them to update as far as I have seen. Not noticed the messages but calls are pretty easy to monitor since each call has a time amount in the details.

7. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, I'm not really bothered by this. More curious if this was a bug or not because it seems to be. My usage time usually tallies but yesterday it was hours off.

8. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I don't think so. The screen being on does deplete the battery, but there is no data usage simply because the light is on.
    For instance, being on MR right now. I'm typing and the screen is on but I won't use data till I hit send. When I go to a new thread, I'm using data at first, but when the text is through downloading, I can scroll around that thread, without turning the page and it uses no more data for me to read.
    Make sense?

9. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I think he's referring to "battery usage" stats, not "data usage" ones.

It's more tied to CPU cycles than data sent.

10. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

Sending/receiving data requires CPU cycles?

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I mean the problem at hand is more tied.

But yes, sending/receiving data does use a small amount of CPU, as, like anything else, the data has to be processed, and then sent via the radio.