imessage using sms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Oct 5, 2011.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

I was talking with a friend who has an ipad today via imessage, both of us using ios 5 GM, and before i talked to him I did *3282# to get my data and text usage.

We had a conversation and a few min after it was done I did the code again and my sms usage went up by 19 sms. I then counted the messages and in total there were 38 messages between us. I then counted his messages to me and there were 19 in total!

I know we were both on imessage b/c he was on an Ipad, and my texts were in blue and had the delivered and read receipts. Is it possible the carriers will ID imessages as texts?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Carriers will not label iMessages as SMS. To carriers, they are nothing more that little blips of data.

3. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I thought, I was excited to be able to cancel my text plan with AT&T since the only people I text with regularly have iphones.

Maybe it's because there's a lag between the sms reporting when you do the 3282 code...I'll try it tonight before i sleep, and then try and have an imessage convo with someone tomorrow and do the code again and see what happens.

But my sms definitely went up on the counter and the only convo I had was with imessage, but seemed to only be the received ones.

I REALLY hope I'm wrong, would love to save 20/month.