iMessage - what happens when you are roaming?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nk416, Jun 7, 2011.

1. nk416 macrumors newbie

My wife and I leave "data roaming off" when we travel outside of the country. We use cheap text messaging to communicate, as the roaming data charges on our home carrier are outrageous.

If I (or my wife) is overseas, will she no longer be able to text me through the message app? Will iMessage default to data for sending when there is no data connection available, even if you have used iMessage with the same user in the past?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Incoming SMS should always work anywhere, with or without iMessage switched on.

iMessage has a feature to turn it off when there isn't a network connection, but if your wife sent a message to you using iMessage and your phone had no data connection then I don't think it would be delivered. IMO this is a huge problem.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

No its not. It detects if the user is online at the time. If not it sends it as a normal SMS.

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That doesn't sound too bad then.

5. alfalund macrumors newbie

It doesn't work always - currently when sending messages from Europe to Japan, the iPhone attempts iMessage, until finally failing and then - much later - sending as text.

Is there any way to force text?

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Turn iMessage off and then use something you are actually in control of e.g. WhatsApp ;)

7. alfalund macrumors newbie