iMessage when using iPhone overseas with a data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omelet1978, Dec 17, 2016.

1. omelet1978 macrumors member

Hi,

I go to Qatar, England, and a few other places & a few other countries and I have an unlocked Verizon iPhone 7 Plus.

If I put a data only sim card into the 7 Plus will iMessage still work with my Verizon phone number?

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Nope. That's why I use a backup iPhone (basically my old one) for international use.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not with the number per se, but with your Apple ID that should have your number associated with it.

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

My AT&T number got disabled from iMessage when I replaced the SIM card on my iPhone.

5. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I'm curious about this. I never use iMessage, but I'm curious about how it works with travelers that switch SIM cards often.
    Will it register the new SIM phone number? How would other parties' messages be send? Will they go to the ether or will the system use the associated Apple ID?

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yup. That's what it does and it will activate iMessage on the new number.

Dunno how messages from other people to the old/actual iMessage number gets routed. Probably gets sent to the ether unless the sender specifically sends it to the Apple ID email address instead of phone number. When I'm overseas, people know to send me messages via Facebook Messenger so lack of iMessage has never been an issue.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.

8. Paco II macrumors 65816

The 'trick' is to make sure people are messaging you via your Apple ID email address. In your iMessage (and Facetime) settings, make sure your 'from' is your Apple ID email address. As long as people are messaging you to your email address, it does not matter what SIM is in the phone.