iMessage while (sort of) using two phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdwaltz, Sep 23, 2016.

1. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

So, for the past two years I've had a 6+. My 4.7 iPhone 7 was received launch day. Love the phone but sometimes find myself missing the large screen. I have no intention of exchanging because in many cases, I find the smaller form factor to be superior in terms of ease of use.

I work a desk job and still have my 6+ sitting on my desk. I've realized that if I want to have a larger screen, I can essentially still use it whenever I want to via wifi (my iPhone 7 even pushes phone calls to it!)

My only issue is with iMessage. It will not allow my phone to use my number to send or receive texts. My old SIM is still in there, so the phone still knows it has a phone number. In the past, just messing around, I've been able to achieve this. Of course now when I want to do it "for real", it won't work.

Has anyone been able to achieve using an old SIM to use a number with iMessage, and if so, how did you achieve it?

2. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I would take the SIM out, set it to Airplane mode with wifi, and then toggle iMessage on/off. It should allow you to text from your number using any device that is logged in with the same AppleID. Having the old SIM in there might actually be confusing it, and disallowing this.

3. sdwaltz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Brilliant, it worked like a charm. Thank you!