iMessage will allow me to reduce my Text Message Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SIUGRAD99, Oct 10, 2011.

1. SIUGRAD99 macrumors regular

I am trying to understand the value of iMessage and was curious if my interpretation of how it works is correct. The majority of people I text have an iphone and by them all being on ios5 I will be able to message them via wifi or 3g unlimited for free, but does this count against my text message plan if I were not to have unlimited?

Just looking for ways to reduce my monthly bill. Going to visit AT&T about lowering my text plan & minute plan as I have 7,000 roll over minutes I couldn't use if I wanted to since everyone I call is on an AT&T plan

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

iMessage + Google Voice (For texting non-iphone users) = no more text plans.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

att only offers unlimited text plans now...... implemented shortly after apple mentioned imessages

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

iMessage will allow you to send free messages to other iOS users...anybody you text on an Android or any other operating system will still go out as a regular SMS...oh and AT&T gives you one choice now; unlimited SMS or .20 cents per text

5. tinydragon123 macrumors member

I am thinking of getting rid of my texting plan and use iMessage and Google Voice for texting when I get my 4S. Is it possible to ask AT&T to block all SMS messages? Or will I need to pay .20 cents for each one?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unless everyone you know uses an iphone on 5.0+ iOS then you'd be stuck with having a texting plan or paying 20cents per text without a plan.
    Or if you block it the wont receive any texts from anyone besides imesssages.

7. jhuang macrumors member

I believe it is possible (or at least it was a few years ago) - call 611 and ask them to block text messages.

8. note235 macrumors 6502a

yes but isnt that why the other poster mentioned google voice?:p

9. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You gotta love AT&T. I mean, they could have lowered their Texting plans - so people would opt to still keep them & be competitive. But no, it's unlimited or nothing. I hope it bites them in the butt!

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, more greed by our lovelly carriers:rolleyes:

Not sure how that works since I havent used it before.
    Is it easy to use and just data dependant?
    Do you have to use a google number to text to or your cell number would do?

11. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Verizon doesn't have tiered texting plans any more either.

I would use Google Voice for texting, but having two numbers would SUCK and be confusing for people.

12. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

What if you give everyone your google voice number. forward that number to your cell phone for the voice calls, and the text messages get forwarded to google voice app. Then you can block all text messaging from your carrier. Would this work?

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Google Voice text messages are data dependent.

Unfortunately, so that the text message doesn't count against your plan you will have to text people using your google voice number, and in a way if you have the google voice app on your iPod touch or iPad, it will mimic iMessage (continue a conversation on another device or desktop browser).

14. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Most of my friends either have an iPhone or Android phone. Currently we use Google Chat on our phones and/or iPad's for "free text messaging" and soon with iMessage, I'll use that between my iphone 4S and iPads and iPhones and use google chat when sending to Android phones.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, I'll have to give it a try.

16. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Yes! I have Text Messages blocked on all my lines.

17. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

18. Nads786 macrumors member

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

That I know of, I've never missed a text.

20. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

It's reliable, yes. I haven't missed a text either. But I absolutely hate using it for voice, as there is a noticeable delay between the time you talk and the time your caller hears you. On top of that, the app (in my experience) is nails-on-chalkboard slow. Sometimes I've waited for 5+ minutes with the app open just for it to respond and let me use it.

I use it for international texting as I travel to Canada for 10 days every two weeks. If it weren't for their feature where they email you the text messages you receive, I'd quit using Google Voice entirely.

I haven't heard anyone have these complaints on Android, and I plan on picking up an Android phone in the next 2-4 weeks, so I'll give that one last go before I write it off entirely and expense the extra cost of texting to my company.

21. nutmac macrumors 68040

Although I've never missed a text, Google Voice iPhone app's push notification had been hit or miss.

22. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree that the App is not the best, I'm hoping that the update that was pushed out a little while ago will fix some issues.

[​IMG]