iMessage with both iPhone/iPad on same account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TK 421, Oct 7, 2011.

1. TK 421 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I did a quick search on iMessage and couldn't find this specific question. If I have an iPhone and an iPad both with iMessage loaded on the same Apple ID, iMessage syncs the messages correct?

My follow up question is if I use iMessage to communicate with another friend who isn't on an Apple device, it would use SMS right? What happens if I'm doing this on my iPad? Does it know to use my iPhone to send the SMS, or is it not possible?

Thanks for the assistance.

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

If someone sends you an iMessage and you have it set up on multiple devices, all the devices will receive the same message. You cannot send an iMessage from an iPad to someone not using an iDevice. You need to use your phone and use SMS for that. Or download one of the text messaging apps.

3. thesiren macrumors 6502a

thesiren

What I want to know is, if you're messaging on your phone out and about and your iPad is on at home, are your incoming messages popping up on your iPad for everyone to see?

4. sman789 Customer Support

sman789

Only iMessages from iDevices will pop up on the iPad. Aye yi yi! But I would like to use the iPad to send and receive SMS to/from any device. Is that possible, routing them thru my iPhone?

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes. So quit sexting! Or put your iPad away....

----------

iPad does not have SMS. You could use a third party software or many cell providers allow you to use an email address which delivers the emails as an SMS, but neither of those options would work using the iMessage application.