General iMessage with no iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by FortWorthMac, Dec 31, 2017.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Thought of something tonight while playing on my iPad. I have a Samsung N8 but the rest of my tech is Apple. So that got me to thinking. Is there anyway to setup iMessage with a phone number that’s NOT tied to an iPhone? For example, my google voice number.

I have iMessage on my iPad still setup, but with only an email address.

I’d then get my messages on my iPad and my phone. I have a feeling the answer is no, but just wanted to ask.

Thanks all.

2. aKansasKid macrumors regular

Pretty sure the answer is no. iMessage on the iPhone is tied to that phone's number that it finds on the SIM card, and there is no option within iMessage to change it. The only options for alternate routing is via email addresses, which works for the iPad and the iPhone.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Nope.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

What would be there to receive iMessages even if you were able to tie them to a number used by a non-Apple device?

5. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking, some how, the message would get sent to both my iPad and GV Number. As an sms.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

iMessage is iMessage, it wouldn't be sent as SMS or anything else.

7. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah as I was typing my reply to you I kinda figured it wouldn’t make sense. Thanks for the reply however. And being courteous. Regards, David

8. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

After the iOS 11 debacle, I'm certain Apple would lose half it's base if iMessage appeared on Android.

9. Banglazed macrumors 6502a

Banglazed

It is possible through an app called weMessage for Android (https://wemessageapp.com/) and only practical if you have a Mac since the app itself relay through a server and onto the Mac to send and receive iMessage.