Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandman1969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Friend gave me his old iPhone 4 (Verizon) and I gave to my daughter to use as an iPod. I want to let her send iMessages to family with iPhones, but cannot seem to get it to work. I have my son setup with our old iPhone (AT&T) with SIM card removed and it works without a problem. However, since the Verizon doesn't have a removable SIM card I can't seem to get it to work.

I can put it in Airplane mode and enable WIFI and can surf, use iTunes and other internet enabled apps. But whenever I try to send a Text Message it says you must disables airplane mode to send or receive messages.

Is there anyway to force it to bypass the Cellular data and strictly use WiFi like my Son's AT&T iPhone. I have it set to use iMessage with her iCloud account and turned off SMS messaging. I also turned off Cellular data to restrict all data to WiFi.

Thanks

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Friend gave me his old iPhone 4 (Verizon) and I gave to my daughter to use as an iPod. I want to let her send iMessages to family with iPhones, but cannot seem to get it to work. I have my son setup with our old iPhone (AT&T) with SIM card removed and it works without a problem. However, since the Verizon doesn't have a removable SIM card I can't seem to get it to work.

I can put it in Airplane mode and enable WIFI and can surf, use iTunes and other internet enabled apps. But whenever I try to send a Text Message it says you must disables airplane mode to send or receive messages.

Is there anyway to force it to bypass the Cellular data and strictly use WiFi like my Son's AT&T iPhone. I have it set to use iMessage with her iCloud account and turned off SMS messaging. I also turned off Cellular data to restrict all data to WiFi.

Thanks

I have poor wifi connection in my room so I put my phone in airplane mode all the time so it won't switch over to 3G. I can tell you form day by day experience if you hit cancel it will work just fine as long as your on wifi. Please tell me how it goes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 114

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
In that context, "messages" simply refers to non-iMessages. Which is correct, you obviously will not be able to receive SMS or MMS messages without cellular service. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have poor wifi connection in my room so I put my phone in airplane mode all the time so it won't switch over to 3G. I can tell you form day by day experience if you hit cancel it will work just fine as long as your on wifi. Please tell me how it goes.
yup, that's pretty much it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.