iMessage with unlocked phone during travel

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by FreeState, Jan 26, 2013.

1. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im headed to Thailand next week. I unlocked my iPhone via AT&T and I am planning on using a sim from Thailand while I am there (it's about $30 for unlimited data). Can I associate two phone numbers with the same account? If not whats the best way to do texting using iMessage without having to notify everyone of the new number?

Any tips from travelers?

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

When I last went to thailand I just relied on wifi via airplane mode and used my apple id to send iMessages as normal. Unless you need a phone number I wouldn't bother with getting a sim etc. what I did was buy a small Nokia burner with a prepaid sim to make local calls

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Once you put the new SIM card in, it will replace your imessage number with the thailand one. To avoid all the confusion with a new number or your apple email id, I recommend using whatsapp messenger or instant messaging.

4. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I second this. Whatsapp really comes in handy when traveling internationally.

iMessage will just confuse people since it'll display the thai number. Whatsapp will still say your number. Confirmed on a recent trip to Mexico where I used a local SIM.

5. FreeState thread starter macrumors 68000

FreeState

Thanks - going to check it out!