iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willaltmann, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Willaltmann macrumors newbie

Hi i was wondering what will happen if i sent a text as an iMessage to someone but at that time they had no internet to receive it. Would it then turn into a normal text or wait until they have internet to receive it??
    Thanks

2. diamond.g, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011

diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

If you have send as SMS/MMS turned on then it should send it as a SMS/MMS after failing to get a delivery receipt.

Otherwise, it will just tell you it failed to send.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

What do you mean if "they didn't have internet"? If you mean they don't have WiFi, they can receive iMessages over Edge/3G.

4. Willaltmann thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean if they didnt have wifi or edge/3g. no internet connection but carrier connection still

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i think he meant wifi. i thought imessage was only available over 3g and wifi, i dont think imessage works over edge.

im wrong, i guess it does work over edge.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

My answer still stands. :D

7. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

iMessage works just like a normal Text message. If a text message can be sent and delivered, then so can an iMessage.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Totally not true.

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

How is it not true?

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

you cant send a text via wifi..

11. larock macrumors member

Here are my findings after playing with iMessage on my iPhone and iPad. If the iPad's data is turned off (cellular and wifi) the iMessage shows as "Waiting for Delivery..." on the sending device. Once the iPad has data again (either 3G, Edge or WiFi) the message gets "Delivered". When sending to the iPhone with data turned off, the iMessage does not get turned into a SMS. I did only wait five minutes before re-enabling data so I don't know if the iMessage might error out after a longer period of time.

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Can iPads even send our texts? I believe a true test would be to use iPhone to iPhone iMessaging. It's not like a 3G iPad can send out texts (well, not without some sort of Jailbreak/tweaking).

13. larock macrumors member

Good point, I was just sharing what I found using the devices I have readily available. From what I can tell an iMessage and a SMS are not the same, they just share the same app, Messages. I guess we need someone with two iPhones on iOS 5 that can further test.

14. Merkie macrumors 68020

The iMessage / text message choice is made at the device. You can see the send button turn blue when you're sending an iMessage, instead of green when sending a regular text message. If a message is sent through iMessage, then it's an iMessage. I doubt iMessages can magically switch lanes and transfer to an entirely different protocol.

iMessage = iMessage. Text message = text message. They just use the same app.

15. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

turn off WiFi and cellular data and try to use iMessage. I'll wait.

as long as you have signal you should be able to send a sms. To send a MMS or iMessage you need data connection.

16. hitman1980 macrumors newbie

iMessage is same like whatsapp ..
    The only difference is tht whatsapp work on all iphone, android and BB .. while iMessage will work only on iphone/ipad ..
    You need some kind of internet connection edge/3g/wifi to have it working ..
    Its like sending free sms to any iphone .. The notification u will get is exactly like u get an sms ..
    Try whatsapp once and u will see wht iMessage will be like ..

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are asking what it will look like in terms of the "..." "typing" or any other error messages or if it would just send like a normal (green) text would, it's the former.

18. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Something out of the topic, but I can't wait for iMessage on a Mac. I'm sure ti would get there like how Facetime did!

19. Willaltmann thread starter macrumors newbie

My question still stands, what if the recipient doesnt have cellular data connection or wifi but you send an imessage to them? would you then have to take of your cellular data and wifi and send it as a text???

20. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Here's what will happen:

Your iPhone will attempt to send an iMessage. After 5 minutes of being unable to deliver the iMessage (since your friend has no data/wifi), it will automatically send your message as an SMS text.

It is all done in the background.

21. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I don't think i've ever had reception where there is zero data. From my experience no data no signal at all. (i don't mean turning it off)

22. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

When the person eventually finds service (after both the message and SMS have been sent to them), will they receive a duplicate message, or will apple only display one?

23. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Apple will only send one.

First, your iPhone will try to deliver it as an iMessage. Then, if it doesn't deliver (For whatever reason, e.g the other person has no data signal), then it will fall back to SMS.

When they do come back online (Get data signal), then they will NOT receive a duplicate. It's more of a 'one or the other' type deal.

24. androiphone macrumors 65816

this was once mentioned on another thread, what is supposed to happen is if the iMessage fails it should notify you and ask if you want to send it as an SMS message, at which point if it would cost you money you could say no.

where what was happening was it was sending the message as an SMS without asking the user first, therefore I strongly hope the automatic sending of an SMS is a bug, what if you are iMessaging someone abroad, if it fails to deliver it has just cost you like £3 for something that you expected was free.

25. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Guys, he's TROLLING! Don't feed him please :p