iMessage ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CosmoPilot, Sep 22, 2011.

1. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I travel abroad and always pay a premium for text messaging.

The question I have: will iMessage let you know BEFORE you send a text message if the recipient of your message is also using an iOS device capable of using iMessage?

I understand the blue text bubbles vs. green text bubbles. I'm asking if there is a way to know prior to hitting the "send" button that it will be sent as an iMessage.

Thanks,

Cosmo

2. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Yes it will turn blue when you open up the conversion or select the contact.

3. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

What turns blue when you select the contact?

In this scenario, I'm talking about a first time text message (i.e., there is no conversation).

Also, (assuming both parties are using iPhones) is it possible for something to cause iMessage not to work and it convert back to normal SMS?

Thanks,

Cosmo

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The Send button changes colour.

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Literally-answering-the-thread-title guy: Yes, iMessage.

6. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Thanks, didn't know about the send button turning blue. That's what I was hoping for!

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Also, when composing a new message, the header will either read "New iMessage" or "New Message." (the latter being for SMS/MMS).

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

In iOS 4 the "send" button is already blue by default, regardless on who you're texting.

So you're saying in iOS5, I'll start a brand new message (with no contact selected yet). I'll put in the contact info, and then at that time the Send button will change to either a blue color or a green color?

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you have a data connection the default will be an imessage providing the recipient is using an iPhone with ios5 installed.

10. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

The OP's question is whether there's any way to know if the recipient is using an iOS 5 device before sending the message.

This is a good question, and it speaks to the usefulness of having SMS and iMessage as separate apps (a-la BBM).

11. bigbowlofjelly, Sep 22, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

SMS is green
    iMessage is blue

The person who you add as contact to send to also changes to blue before you start
    photo 2.PNG photo 3.PNG
    You even get blue speech bubbles for iMessage contacts once you clicked them once Untitled.jpg

12. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yes, that is what we're saying.

13. androiphone macrumors 65816

ok this is how I understand it will work:
    1. open a new blank message
    2. add a contact
    3. it will 'talk' to apples server and see if the mobile number (or email address for ipad and ipod touch) is imessage compatible
    4. the server will send back to you yes (all the stuff turns blue and it says New iMessage)
    5. or it says no and everything turns green and says 'text message'
    6. you then type your message and hit send and the one it said would send is sent.

remember you have to have a data connection for imessage to even work, meaning if you are aboard and not connected via wifi the data costs may be a lot

if the iMessage couldn't be delivered it may send it as an SMS instead, to stop this 1. turn of SMS in settings before you send or 2. if you are using wifi go into airplane mode while sending the iMessage.

14. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Can someone show a picture of how iOS 5 disables SMS messaging? When overseas, I keep data roaming turned off (Wi-Fi only); however, this doesn't affect text messaging. I normally pay approximately $0.40 per outgoing text (In coming are free). The bulk of my text messages (99%) are to my wife who has an iPhone as well. Disabling the SMS function would prevent the message from going out via SMS and save us about $40 per month.

Thanks.

15. itsmemuffins, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  16. androiphone macrumors 65816

this is a photo of the settings
    [​IMG]
    taken from here

if you want to force it to not send an SMS, if iMessage is not available, then you just toggle that switch.

17. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

----------

Perfect!

Thanks...can't wait for iOS 5 to hit the streets. I'm looking forward to iMessage, iTunes Match, & Calendar sharing.

18. itsmemuffins, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Yes sorry, I forgot about that. Deleted my thread.

19. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Deleted my response as well.

20. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Yes.

Yes. As others have said, but I'll elaborate... When you type a contact in when starting a new message, the bubble around the number or name turns blue in front of your eyes. It's quite neat.

It checks to the servers to see if that device had iMessage.

iMessage-Check1.jpg

It also puts up a little logo when you start typing a contact in Messages.

iMessage-logo.jpg

21. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Now that is cool! Looks like Apple did a good job with imessage! Now if they'll only release iOS 5 already!

Again, appreciate everyone taking the time to answer these questions.

22. Torresangel88 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

Also you need to know that iMessages use data, so it won't work if you have data roaming off in another country

23. CosmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Understood, but I would use mainly with WiFi. As it stands now, we use FaceTime primarily followed by Skype. However, there are times when I just need to get a quick text message out. This will be perfect. If I need to send a text when not on WiFi, I'll just use what I do now ($0.40 SMS).

24. dickdaney macrumors regular

Any beta users currently using I message with a text block in their phone? I have blocked texts on my phone. I refuse to pay $20 for text messaging + $30 for data, when I can go data only. Once the carriers move to the VoLTE standard everything will be data anyway, but they still find a way to shaft us.