iMessage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BLOND37, Aug 3, 2012.

1. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

am i missing something? i thought we are supposed to see messages from a person on both / all devices? i was signed into i message on macbook and only got messages there.. not on iphone.. if i want them there i need to sign out of iMessage on MBP..

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You have to set up Messages on all your devices and sign in using your Apple ID

3. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well i think i have that?? how can i tell / or do that?
    its works ok on phone but i only get messages one place at a time, like i said..

if x sends me a messages when i am logged into on MBP i only get it there

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

You have to add your apple ID to iMessage on your iphone to receive messages on both devices.

Basically, for now, messages going to your phone # go to your phone, messages that go to your Apple ID go to any device which has iMessage setup with your Apple ID.

In iOS 6, it will be unified so even messages going to your # will go to all your devices.

5. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohhhh thats the problem.. i was thinking it would do it with ML.. but i need to wait until 6 comes out

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

In the mean time though, if you add your Apple ID to iMessage (in settings) and people message you through your Apple ID instead of your #, you'll get it on both your phone and computer.

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Ahhh what a pain... I was so excited for iMessages to work on my new computer. Oh well... iOS 6 I wait.

8. wushuwannabe macrumors newbie

If you just have everybody iMessage you to your Apple ID, it will work fine. That's what I do.

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I'm not going to do that though. The idea of iMessage is convenience. I know it might sound like I'm being stubborn about this, but It's like trying converting a friend to use a different email then the one you have been using for the past couple years. It's a head ache because they have to remember. Then they don't and you are annoyed.

Just doesn't seem worth it, but when iOS 6 rolls around it'll be really nice.