iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by oldman22, Dec 8, 2013.

1. oldman22 macrumors newbie

So on an iPhone4 what is required to use I message meaning I just have a SIM card on the phone I am only hooked to wifi I use talkatone and Goggle voice when I go to send a message it says error so if I create an apple is and enter that would I be able to use Imessage also not ti long ago there was an app that was in the App Store then they took it down I am open for a third party solution or to just get I message to work

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, you need an Apple ID to activate and use iMessage.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

As verwon states, you need an Apple ID. However, if you don't have a carrier then your Apple ID won't show as a phone number.

You'll have to let the people you know that you want to iMessage with to use your email address (the one you register the Apple ID with) for iMessage and not a phone number.

You can hide that a bit. For instance, when I was using Talkatone on my 3GS I created an Apple ID with my GV phone number and domain name as my Apple ID email address.

Example: 123-456-7890@yourdomain.com

But whatever you decide to do, it will have to be an email address you use for iMessage if you do not have a carrier plan.

4. oldman22 thread starter macrumors newbie

iMessage

Thank you that does make sense I will try it via email addy route I wonder though being I Have a google voice and talkatone can I create another GV account cause I did not know u could use your GV number to register an Apple ID I appreciate the help maby I can contribute if u guys need help with anything I am a iPhone enthusiast I do a lot of work with cydia tweaks and jailbreaks so this should have come to me naturally thank you fir the follow up and Reply "it's good people like you make a difference in these forums "

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just to be clear…I used my GV number as the first part of an email address and my domain name as the second part. Because I own the domain name I used I'm able to give myself almost any email I want.

If you are using something like Yahoo, Gmail, or any other freebie email account your chances of being able to obtain from them an email account using your GV number is probably not good. Many of the free webmail providers don't like special characters or no letters in the first part of the address. Which is why I used my own personal domain for this.