iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by el Cid 15, Jan 18, 2015.

1. el Cid 15 macrumors newbie

Question 1:
    Does anyone know if there is a way to track (or an application) whether party 1 can tell if party 2 is pinging their location if party 1 is sharing their location and party 2 is not?

Question 2:
    Can gps monitoring software be placed onto a SIM card and monitor your location?

Thanks

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Your question is pinging across that empty space between my ears.

3. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

4. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

I couldn't understand Question 1 correctly. You want to know if 'There's a way Party 1 can know the location of Party 2 if, although Party 2 knows the location of Party 1, Party 1 doesn't know the location of Party 2?' Is that what you mean?

As for your Question 2, although a SIM card allows us to 'program' it, it does not have global positioning capabilities. Hence merely programming a SIM (which also means overwriting the service provider's data - thus tendering the SIM useless) cannot help you to locate the device. However when a call is made the service provider can locate from which 'cell' from their service network the call was made and can thus derive the coordinates of that particular cell. Nonetheless GPS tracking devices, even 90 times smaller & thinner than a nano SIM , are available which can accurately give back the location with a precision of 3m. This technology, however, is military/secret-agency level sophistication and surely not available commercially and for civilians.

5. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Basically I think the OP wants to know if you can see who specifically tracking you, assuming you have given permission to be tracked
    For example, in Find My Friends, you can have somebody who follows you but who you cannot follow. It would be nice to see when they are actually actively following you using the app.

6. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

In that case, yes we can get to keep a check on who gets to know our location although depending on the application.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This isn't really an iMessage question... a Find My Friends question, maybe?

Any, from Find My Friends, it doesn't look like there's a way to do what you ask, but you can stop sharing your location, or remove that person as a friend if you don't want them finding out where you are.

Not on a SIM card. But other iOS tracking apps exist. Unless you jailbreak, they can't be added without it being obvious there's an app running though.

Then of course, there's the location tracking available to wrieless carriers and law enforcement, which is not dependent on installed software.

8. Rlong405 macrumors member

Probably badged as an iMessage question due to the new functionality in iMessage to share you location with recipient.