iMessages are only free via wifi...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by miamialley, Oct 8, 2011.

1. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

So, iMessages is only free over wifi?

As per http://www.apple.com/iphone/ios/

"Now you can text it up with fellow iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch users running iOS 5. Messages with iMessage are unlimited. (carrier data rates may apply)"

As per http://www.apple.com/ipad/ios/

"Text messaging with iMessage is now on iPad and it’s unlimited between all iOS 5 users. And free over Wi-Fi.*
    For iPad with 3G, normal carrier data rates may apply."

Well, that sucks. Apple has been quiet and slightly cryptic regarding this change. And what is the normal carrier data rate from Verizon for my iPad? I'll get a bill from them per month for text messages?

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

not to be rude, but its always been this way. if you are on wifi, your carrier does not send the message, hence its free.

if you are out and about, your iphone will send through your carrier and will use data. its the way, and only way it can and has been working

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No, no, no. That just means iMessages get sent over the carrier's data network when not on wifi. It doesn't get sent as a text or use your text plan.

4. theperipheral macrumors 6502

If you're not on wifi, you aren't iMessaging. You are texting. You'll know because iMessages are blue, text messages are green.

This has always been the case.

5. 00trayn macrumors member

each message uses a small amount of data, which you have a plan for. So, yes, you're paying for it in some capacity, but the messages are so tiny that you can send hundreds and not really see much impact. Its not about to push you over the limits of your data plan, even if you have the 200mb one. Each message is 1kb I'd guess.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It's telling you that you will be using data over 3G if Wi-Fi is not available.

7. exhibit.b macrumors regular

You can use iMessages on either wifi or 3G. If you are on 3G you are obviously going to use part of whatever data package you have. You will not be using any of your text messages.

Text messages are taken out of your text message plan.
    iMessages are taken out of your data plan if you are on 3G.

You can send videos and pictures using iMessage that aren't as compressed when sending as a regular text message so they will use up more data. When you send those pictures and videos as a text message they are still just counted as a part of your messaging plan.

8. miamialley, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012

miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

So, when not on wifi, it's sent as data (not as a text message)? Obviously that's better if it's data as that's a small amount of usage.

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

No. That is not correct.

"Carrier data rates may apply" just means that when you are not on WiFi, iMessages are sent using your cell data plan, which you have to pay for (i.e. your monthly data plan fee). They are still real iMessages, not SMS.

iMessaging works as long as both the sender and recipient have it enabled. It doesn't matter if you are using WiFi or cell data.

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Exactly

11. vebs macrumors regular

If you have a wifi or 3G connection, it's sent as an iMessage (basically like using any other instant message system online, like skype/msn).

If you haven't got a wifi or 3G connection, then it will be sent as a text message (unless you disable an iMessage from sending as a text if there is no internet connection).

12. DeathChill macrumors 68000

^Beaten.

As I understand it, iMessages will be sent over WiFi (if you're connected, obviously) or cellular data. If either of those options fail then it falls back to sending a regular SMS.

The real issue I would imagine is knowing when you're sending a MMS, if you're using iMessage or when it reverts to a MMS through your carrier or uses data.

13. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

This is where sprints unlimited data kills all.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If you have any type of data connection be it wifi, EDGE or 3G, etc. and you're messaging an iOS 5 user it will send as an iMessage and it won't come out of your texting plan. It's that simple.

15. miamialley thread starter macrumors 68030

miamialley

Right, but it does not count as a text message. It counts as data. That was the confusion for me.