iMessages Come From Email Address, Not Phone Number

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason.siegel, Jul 28, 2012.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

The iMessages I send through Messages are coming from my email address, not my phone number. So recipients don't receive them in the same conversations as when I text them from my iPhone. And I'm not in their list of contacts. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Doesn't seem very seamless, for Apple.

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

It ought to work if your email address is in their contact list along with your phone number. I agree though, it doesn't seem seamless. It's about time we had one single ID for absolutely everything, as Arthur C Clarke posited in 3001.

3. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

That makes sense, although I don't think most people really spend much time putting all the information into their contacts. I had figured the iCloud ID would manage it all, but it isn't.

I'm not sure if I'm thrilled with Messages. It seems like an alpha.

4. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Awkward situation happened few hours ago. I activated my email on imessage and everything was fine and dandy. I went to eat and came back only to find my significant other going back and forth with my little sister (her itouch is activated with my apple id).

"Who is this?"
    "I'm not telling. Stalker."

My 11 y/o sister is smart. ;) :D

Anyway it's deactivated until I can get my sister her own ID.

5. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Check that your Caller ID isn't set for your Apple ID. If it is set for your phone # yet still coming from your Apple ID, there could be two reasons for this...

a) Your last conversation with that person or persons was done over your Apple ID and iMessage keeps the conversation with that Apple ID until you delete it.

b) Change the Caller ID to/from your phone number, then back again. This will reset the Caller ID for iMessage.

I've been using it since iOS 5 launched and it's saved me a ton on international SMS, very pleased with it. However, there were glitches (like this) when it first launched. Thankfully, they've cleared up most of them in subsequent updates.