iPhone iMessages do not send, have to force as text message

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sola77, Apr 30, 2015.

1. sola77 macrumors member

I have iMessage turned on, but I don't have carrier data because I'm almost always on wifi.

On wifi, I try to iMessage an iPad of someone who I know has their iMessage turned on, and the status bar loads almost to the very end and does not send and 5 minutes later I get the "Message Failed to Send" popup.

When not on wifi, texts attempt to go through as iMessages, but obviously don't and I have to force it through as an actual Text Message. Then when I do actually get within wifi, the messages I sent as texts, send AGAIN as iMessages.

It's infuriating :mad:

2. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

Hi

I was not aware that an iPhone would be able to send an SMS (Text Message) if it does not have carrier data turned on.

With only Wi-Fi on I thought it would be able to send iMessages. And only iMessages.

Is thIs not the case?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

SMS doesn't use data and basically uses the same connection that phone calls use.

4. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

sporadic imessage issues for some or the wifi networks u use have a broken trace route to apples servers (or blocked intentionally), i can imessage fine with wifi only with cell data turned off, legit "no service", & removed sim card. works works and works when on wifi here