Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
I'm super late to the party on this, and I don't quite understand how this works.

My wife and I each have iPhones, but we've been paying $10/month for unlimited text messaging. With the money crunch, we're looking for as many ways to save as possible.

If I ditch unlimited texts, will I still be able to send/receive text messages from my Android friends and friends who aren't using iMessage - without getting billed for it? If not, what's the best solution.

$10/month is quite a lot and I'd love to know if we can cut it and still be able to message with our non iPhone friends...

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Here's the easy thing to remember.

Any messages that you send that show up as Blue are iMessages, these are sent via Data and would continue to be free if your dropped your text messaging plan.

Any messages that show up as Green are SMS text messages and are currently covered under your unlimited texting plan, if you dropped the plan you would be charged for each individual green message.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I'm super late to the party on this, and I don't quite understand how this works.

My wife and I each have iPhones, but we've been paying $10/month for unlimited text messaging. With the money crunch, we're looking for as many ways to save as possible.

If I ditch unlimited texts, will I still be able to send/receive text messages from my Android friends and friends who aren't using iMessage - without getting billed for it? If not, what's the best solution.

$10/month is quite a lot and I'd love to know if we can cut it and still be able to message with our non iPhone friends...

Nope. If you want to text your Android friends then you'll need something like unlimited texting because you will be billed every time you text your Android buddies. Green = SMS, Blue = iMessage :)

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Also be aware that when they, or if they ever switch from Apple to Android, you can continue to see 'delivered' messages that they aren't in fact receiving. I have had this with 2 people so far, who I found out later that they never received them. I assumed they were still on iPhones. A bug in iMessage for people who switch to Android or Windows phones after Apple.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Like said above imessages are only between Apple devices.
If you remove your text package you will either never be able to send/receive from other phones or you'd be paying per text every time someone sends you or you send a text message.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Nope. If you want to text your Android friends then you'll need something like unlimited texting because you will be billed every time you text your Android buddies. Green = SMS, Blue = iMessage :)

Just use twitters direct message feature.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Just use twitters direct message feature.
Is everyone you know, including all your relatives on Twitter? Are you on Facebook? I could message you via FB too. Might as well have said Facebook as well.

I could send my mom a DM using Twitter, but it'd never get there because my mom isn't on Twitter. My dad is pushing 80 and does not even have an iPhone. He has no online presence. How do I send him a DM via Twitter?

Take a moment to think. Not everyone is on Twitter.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
What plan are you on where you're still paying for texting separately? Most plans now include unlimited talk and text, the money is in data.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Is everyone you know, including all your relatives on Twitter? Are you on Facebook? I could message you via FB too. Might as well have said Facebook as well.

I could send my mom a DM using Twitter, but it'd never get there because my mom isn't on Twitter. My dad is pushing 80 and does not even have an iPhone. He has no online presence. How do I send him a DM via Twitter?

Take a moment to think. Not everyone is on Twitter.

I don't use spybook thats why I mentioned twitter. Yes everyone i know is either on twitter or iMessage. I sometimes joke I won't talk to people who aren't on iMessage so refuse to install 3rd party texting apps. Twitter is middle ground because I enjoy it as a public sms service (i.e. what you post in 140 characters is like group chat and anyone can join in).

I fail to see what your 80yr old dad with the details you provided has to do with texting in the context of this conversation. Same with your mum. I think we are chatting at cross purposes in regards the topic.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't use spybook thats why I mentioned twitter. Yes everyone i know is either on twitter or iMessage. I sometimes joke I won't talk to people who aren't on iMessage so refuse to install 3rd party texting apps. Twitter is middle ground because I enjoy it as a public sms service (i.e. what you post in 140 characters is like group chat and anyone can join in).

I fail to see what your 80yr old dad with the details you provided has to do with texting in the context of this conversation. Same with your mum. I think we are chatting at cross purposes in regards the topic.
You suggested using Twitter to DM a person as an alternative to iMessage. With that statement you make the assumption that everyone the OP knows is on Twitter - or if they aren't they should be.

You can't know that, nor can you assume it.

My parents were provided as an example to illustrate that point.

Apparently, if someone wishes to communicate with you they have to do it on your terms. Most of the rest of us can't force those around us to do that simply for our own convenience.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
No because we all have those few friends who happened to choose the wrong phone who can't use iMessage. So for them we still need SMS. You get charged even if they send you a message too.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
For quite a while I was messaging all of my iPhone using friends with iMessage, and everyone else with Google Voice. Worked out pretty well 99% of the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.