iMessages iPad phone #?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mikejd1, Sep 14, 2012.

1. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

I thought one of the new features of iOS 6 was that now iPad users can also receive texts sent to their phone numbers would also be sent to iPad too? Did I misunderstand this?

2. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

3. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

In iOS 6? I can't figure it out. I thought now you could associate your phone and email together but can't find that setting.

4. EricJD macrumors regular

It's a bit confusing. Once you sign into iCloud on both your iPhone and iPad, your phone number will show up on the iPad under "Send & Receive" in Messages settings. So if someone sends an iMessage to your phone number, it will show up on both the iPhone and iPad now instead of just the phone. You can't send regular (non-iMessage) texts from the iPad, but you can use your phone number on the iPad as your identity.

Attached Files:

5. Steeley, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

I found that I had to turn off then turn on iMessage and FaceTime on my iPad before my mobile number would appear on it. If it's not showing up for you give that a try.

6. mikejd1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do I have to have iOS 6 installed on both iPhone and iPad?

7. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

Yep

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Do you old messages get synced by any chance? It would be great to keep the conversations on both devices, and I'm wondering if this would solve the issue of transferring txt messages if you do a clean install or restore of one of your devices.

9. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

No. It does not load previous iMessages. It only syncs going forward.

10. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I had a similar issue when installing iOS 6 GM. What I ended up doing was signing out of my apple ID under iMessage and logging in with my icloud account. Then toggling off the imessage service then on again on all devices. It took a few attempts but eventually you'll get a pop up notification saying the phone number will be used for imessages.