Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanEp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
All of the new features with Messages in the new release seem to be working--with the exception of the missing "mark as unread" option for individual messages. Any ideas?

When I long hold a message down, I can: Reply, Copy, Pin, More (...). More (...) leads to the choice to select and delete, or to forward.

The other strange anomaly is I can not swipe right on an individual message. If I swipe left, I get a timestamp (time message was received?).

Note: I can swipe right on a chat and mark it unread. All other new iMessage functions that I have played with seem to be working without a hitch.

iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 16

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I don't think I'm understanding what you're trying to accomplish? As far as I know only conversations can be unread, not individual chat bubbles.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
According to Apple (and dozens of other articles), "you can mark a message as unread if you can’t respond in the moment and want to come back to it later."

MacRumors: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/mark-a-message-as-unread-ios/
After looking around a bit I believe the MacRumors guide is incorrect. Only conversations can be marked as read, not individual messages. This page goes over it with no mention of individual messages:

https://www.iphonetricks.org/how-to-unread-messages-on-iphone-in-ios-16

The wording is confusing because even on the Apple website it says "messages" can be marked unread. It explains that this feature is so that you can remember to check a conversation later. The sender cannot see that you've marked something unread.

Reactions: PMR

DanEp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Acccording to many websites, it is possible to mark individual messages as unread. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks!

mzanker

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
United Kingdom
According to Apple (and dozens of other articles), "you can mark a message as unread if you can’t respond in the moment and want to come back to it later."

If you look at the blurred background in the image accompanying that article it's clear that they are long-pressing on a conversation, not an individual message.

You can't mark an individual message unread at the moment, despite how ever many other websites say you can.

Reactions: Paddle1

DanEp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
The author of that article confirmed to me that it doesn't work and would update the article stating such. The article has yet to be updated though.

Curious what Apple's response will be. They also have documented this feature of being able to mark a message unread.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
The author of that article confirmed to me that it doesn't work and would update the article stating such. The article has yet to be updated though.

Curious what Apple's response will be. They also have documented this feature of being able to mark a message unread.
If I go into the Summary screen in Messages, I'm able to mark a conversation Unread with a long hold. If I go into the conversation, I'm not able to mark an individual message as Unread.

As several others have said, it works with conversations - not individual messages.

Reactions: Paddle1

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008

It *does* say that on Apple's iOS 16 Overview page, which is a little misleading. However, if you watch the demo underneath that text in the messages section, it clearly shows them backing out to the conversation list and marking the conversation as unread.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
There is no indication in iOS of a message being 'Read' or 'Unread' when inside a conversation. When inside a conversation, neither of those states is indicated, therefore you can't change between those states.

When you're at the level above and see all of your conversations, there is in indicator of an unread message. The last message—and the one previewed—is indicated as 'Read' or 'Unread'.

The documentation is correct. You are changing a message from 'Read' to 'Unread'. You're changing the state of the most recent message (only) in the conversation i.e. the one previewed.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
... They also have documented this feature of being able to mark a message unread.
So what is the issue for you, that the documentation is wrong or you want to be able to mark individual messages (within a single conversation) as unread? How would that work exactly? If someone sends me 4 text messages and I open it up, I don't clear 4 notifications individually. They are all marked read as soon as I open it and the count of notifications is reduced by 4.

Reactions: ventmore
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.