iMessage's missing Messages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by james948, Aug 28, 2011.

1. james948 macrumors 6502

iMessage's missing Messages

I'm having a conversion via iMessage with my friend between our two phones. All good. We both have iPads too.

Then my friend loses his data connection temporarily and it defaults to a text message which I send him.

We then carry the conversation on on our iPads at a later date. All our iMessages appear there; they have been synced.

But wait, where's that text message part of the conversation I sent? It's missing. iMessage is still listing it as if that's the full conversation but it's not. It's incomplete.

How is iMessage dealing with this?

2. lancastor macrumors 6502a

3. nmork macrumors regular

Is this a hypothetical situation? It seems like it.

I think you'd be fine unless BOTH of you lost the data connection. For example:

That's how I'd do it, at least.

4. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good call.
    But iMessage doesn't seem to 'remember' text messages that aren't on the system already. Text messages won't show up on iPad. Which means things are out of sync.

5. nmork macrumors regular

Huh. I haven't really experimented with it, so I wouldn't know. Chalk it up to being a beta maybe? I'm sure they've thought of something.

Just curious as I've never used a blackberry, but how does BBM handle it? Anyone know?

6. bob616 macrumors 6502

It wouldn't sync text messages because they aren't iMessages.

7. shandyman Suspended

SMS won't show as it's SMS, not iMessage. it doesn't pass thru Apple's server, so it can't sync it. Simple as.

8. james948 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, exactly. So the point about you not noticing when you're using iMessage is not the case. Because you do notice when there are missing messages.

I have no doubt that iCloud *could* sync SMS messages in much the same way as it can sync saved games etc but whether it will or not remains to be seen.

I'm simply pointing out the flaw in iMessage.

9. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I don't own a Blackberry so I could be completely wrong but I believe that on that flatform, BBM and the standard texting app are completely separate and require a separate list of contacts, therefore BBM couldn't default to texting.

10. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Yup. BBM is a completely separate app and the contacts are set up using a PIN unique to each device.

----------

I don't think it has anything to do with it being in beta. If it defaults to SMS due to no 3g/edge/wifi connection, it won't sync as an iMessage on another device.

I said it in another thread, I don't get why people compare iM to BBM...completely different animals. Actually, I wouldn't even call iM an animal.