iMessages not coming through immediately on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by AshScache, Apr 30, 2012.

1. AshScache macrumors newbie

I tried searching for this topic, but none of the threads seemed to be on point. I've been noticing that when I'm having a text/imessage conversation with my girlfriend, iMessage will show that she is typing but her message wont come through promptly. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm on Verizon.

2. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

well there is a slight delay when sending messages.... define "promptly"

3. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Or she is like my girlfriend and is constantly typing something, then backspacing, then retyping... drives me crazy lol.

Mike

4. AshScache thread starter macrumors newbie

well-- by "promptly" I mean, I'll see that she's typing, the ellipses will go away and then nothing....nothing...and I'll look away or text her something, or lock my phone and then it will come through at some point after that. Its hard to describe the delay because its not consistent, but it just seems not as prompt as it was

She's an "editor" but I don't think thats it.

5. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Oh that is it. Trust me. :D

Seriously though, I have seen delays occasionally (usually from one of the parties having internet issues). But when the ellipses appear that means you both have access to the iMessage servers and are actively communicating with them. So I wouldn't think you would see too much of a delay in that scenario.

Michael

6. AshScache thread starter macrumors newbie

Michael,

Thats the part that confuses me! We're both at home, both on WiFi, and still there's a delay. Maybe I'm being hypersenstive, but its been getting more noticeable and bothersome to me!

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Have you actually observed her hitting send, and then a delay? Now keep in mind it could take several seconds or so for you to receive. Even 10 seconds I would still consider normal.

In my case when I decided to see what was going on, I watched my gf compose a rather simple text to her dad. She erased and reworded it 3x before hitting send. It was an "OMG now I see what the heck is happening" moment.

Michael

8. barredfreak macrumors 6502

Sending and receiving messages in iMessage will always have a slight delay, because the message needs to go to the iMessage servers to check if your recipient is connected to the Internet, then to send it to them. This will take some time, but I'm sure the delay is indifferent after a few weeks of using iMessage.

9. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

There isn't usually much of a delay during an actual conversation when you can both see the ellipses. At the point iMessage already knows both parties are connected to the internet and actively messaging.

Michael