iMessages not converting to text

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by 1stalban, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 1stalban macrumors member

I know that I have the ability to point my phone to send SMS when iMessage is unavailable. What I've found is that the process can take a V-E-R-Y long time to go that way. The problem I'm running into is that if I notice that it hasn't "gone" in a few minutes, I'm unable to press and hold the message to force it to send as a text. The only option I get is to either copy it or send as an email.

Typically, I've found that when I run into something like this, it's user error but I am unable to find out where I'm making my mistake.

Any expert advice would be appreciated!

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I've never heard of or seen the option to send as an email. Where are you located and who is your carrier?

3. 1stalban thread starter macrumors member

I'm located in Kansas City, MO and have AT&T as my carrier.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Okay, I searched around and found what sounds like a plausible explanation for this:

I hadn't heard of this before but it certainly makes sense.

Hope that helps.

5. 1stalban thread starter macrumors member

Ah ha! That makes perfect sense and I'm actually embarrassed I didn't think of that before! I've forgotten that I have two listings for my daughter in my contacts...one with a phone number and one without. Naturally, I was trying to convert the iMessage to her in the account that didn't have her phone number.

So, I was correct in my original post...it WAS user error! Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.