iMessages - Phone Number and Email Gives Two Separate Converations

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by kolax, May 21, 2013.

1. kolax macrumors G3

I'm part of a group iMessage. One of the people has an iPad and that uses his email, while his iPhone uses his phone number. I've tried telling him to change his iPad to use his phone number too, but no one else in the group message apparently experiences this.

On my iPhone, I end up with two separate group conversations, depending on which device he used (or rather, whether he used his phone number or email address). Even if I delete both conversations and let new ones start, there'll be two.

However, on my Mac using the Messages app, it always retains it as one conversation.

:confused:

2. dontpannic macrumors 6502

dontpannic

Does your contact for him have both email address and phone number in there?

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I think this is pretty much covered, it's a bug...I get multiples of email, multiple of messages etc. Irrespective of group settings.

It's damned annoying, but hopefully IOS7 will address it.

4. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Yes.

Well glad it isn't just me. I don't see how difficult it'd be to consolidate messages, or that how this bug as existing for so long.

5. Macman45, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It first reared it's head when Apple shut down the original Cloud and replaced it with the free "@me" addressees....Then we had the well documented leaks. It also TRIPLICATES all V.I.P. inbox messages too.

It's not my biggest gripe with IOS by a long way, but it has been around a while...Fingers crossed for IOS7.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

"Merge" from Cydia used to take care of this in iOS5 but the developer has never made it iOS6 compatible.

The only fix is to get all members to set all their devices/Mac to begin new conversations from same address/phone number so they stay in same thread