iMessages Sent To iPhone's # SHOULD Go To Mac Too Right?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Feb 17, 2012.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I was under the impression that since my iPhone is set to receive iMessages at 2 addresses (phone # and Apple ID), if my friend iMessages my phone # it would also go to my Mac.

The Apple ID for Messages on Mac is the same as iMessage on my iPhone.

If someone iMessages my Apple ID though, it goes to Mac and iPhone.

Why else would Apple say you can pick up where you left off on another device? Unless they think people only iMessage with their email address.....

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I assume it SHOULD work, but I read that it often doesn't. Have people send it to the e-mail. That should fix it, based on what I have read.

3. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Only with new MESSAGE app just announced yesterday.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It works for me. Ironically, it used to NOT work between my iPhone and iPad, but suddenly started working on all devices when I installed the Messages app on my Mac and logged into it.

5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Only if the person sending the text uses your email not your phone number. Based on the iPad.

6. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

So if I sent an iMessage to your Phone Number it would go to your iPad and Mac too?

7. Mikesus macrumors 6502

No.

You have to use your email address to go to both.

8. newyorksole thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh that sucks.

9. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Email only, I wonder if it will stay that way when the official program is released.

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

They would have to tie in with a numbers database

11. Mikesus macrumors 6502

IF they linked your cell number to your iCloud number then it would.

Course the press would freak out that they are STORING your cell phone number tho... :eek:

12. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Lol, they would! :eek:

13. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

i wonder why the phone number has the messages icon next to it if you can't send things to all devices through that number.

like, both the email address and the phone number have the message icon next to it when you go to choose which one you want to send to. it doesn't make sense to do that, seeing as both methods don't do the same thing.

14. Mikesus macrumors 6502

probably because it tries to "fall back" to SMS...

No SMS, no iMessage to phone numbers.

15. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

When I get messages via iMessage from my wife's iPhone, I see them both on my iPhone and the Messages app (I'm running Mountain Lion).

When I have the Messages app open on my desktop (active), it sounds an alert on my iPhone but only displays the message on the desktop. My wife uses my phone number to text but since I have 3 receive addresses, it goes to every device I have using my iMessage account.

16. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

I have my caller ID on my phone for iMessage set to my email. That way when I send somebody an iMessage they get it from that and use it in the future

17. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

it only goes to your mac and iPad or iPod touch if they are messaging your email

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I have a thread about this in the Mountain Lion section.

Testing shows that sending a message from the Mac - it will go to ALL devices. Someone responding back to that message, it will go to ALL devices.

However..

If someone sends me a message to my iPhone, to my number, it only goes to my iPhone. Nowhere else.

Here's where it makes no sense, I can't receive messages sent to my number on ALL devices, only my iPhone. However, I CAN send messages from my Mac - to a phone number just fine. Responses show up on ALL devices.

It seems all outgoing it fine. Just incoming to my phone number only goes to my phone.

Kind of crappy. Defeats the whole - continue the conversation anywhere thing.

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Did you set the caller Id to your email on all devices?

20. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yes. From what I am reading and hearing, imessages sent to phone number will only go to that number (phone).

21. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

yea tested it too. this is correct. i wish there was a way to link the phone number with the apple ID bc sending as an apple ID works great until the person who is sending has no 2G or 3G and it sends as a text and the person receiving gets it as an email.