iMessages showing same contact on multiple rows.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by lukin, Jul 18, 2014.

1. lukin macrumors regular

Hello -- Quick question. Something changed recently that is causing an issue I've not seen on my iPhone. It's happening for multiple contacts, and it's causing my iMessage app to list the same contact multiple times so its filling my screen up with the same people.

Basically, I have their phone number and iMessage email address in my contacts. If they text me from their phone number I will get the iMessage and it will come in under their name. If they text me from their email address, it will create a whole new row in my iMessages app under the exact same contact name.

My iMessages 'inbox' ends up looking like this:

Contact 1 Name
    Contact 1 Name
    Contact 2 Name
    Contact 3 Name
    Contact 2 Name

When I open the iMessages and click 'Contact' each one of them opens to the correct contact entry, except the duplicates show the email and the other show the phone as the source. When this used to happen, iMessages would correctly file the phone number and email into the same contact so the inbox would look like:

Contact 1 Name
    Contact 2 Name
    Contact 3 Name

And all messages belonging to the same contacts would be in the corresponding inbox.

Does anyone have any idea what might have changed?

Thanks!

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Check to see if one is a cell number and if the others are email addresses. That person might have their iMessage set differently. I have mine to always start a conservation with my cell number always.

For instances: if I iMessage my wife from my cell number, she would get it as that, but then iMessages her again from an email address, that would show up as me, but a different conservation and showing 2 conservations by me in her in box.

3. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

If the use your cell number AND email you will get dupes. It is either one or the other which is the best and I have found the cell number to be the better of the 2.