iMessages to all phone types

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by HE15MAN, Sep 17, 2014.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Were we not going to be able to send iMessages to all Apple and Android owners with iOS8? What am I missing?

2. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

iMessages to all phone types

iMessage has always been to Apple devices only. Apple has not yet given any indication that they would change things.

3. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

I swear during the keynote for the WWDC they said you would be able to send iMessages to any device now..

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

The Messages app has always supported SMS (which is a standard) as well as Apple's internet based iMessage service. Apple's internet based iMessage service requires the messages app which is not available on other phones. Apple will automatically detect the number and send it either through iMessage or SMS.

In iOS 8, you can see and reply to those SMS messages from your iPad and other iOS 8 devices. Even when Yosemite launches on the Mac, you can reply there too. Is that what you were confused about?

5. juicexct macrumors member

you can send SMS from an iPad or mac (when yosemite is released)

6. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

With Yosemite you will be able to text/sms non iPhone users in the Messages app on your mac. Maybe you are confused with that.

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

No, they said you can send them FROM any device and will all be in sync. No way you could magically send an iMessage to a non-Apple device.

8. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

I think you're thinking of Continuity, that allows a Yosemite OS X device to receive and send SMS messages to your 'green bubble' friends by using your iOS 8 phone as a proxy.

I'm soooo looking forward to this as I love being able to use Messages on my rMBP to text people directly (and have the conversation automatically synced across all my devices).

Basically, it means your green bubble friends will now be synced across your devices just like your iMessage friends. They'll still be green bubbles (non-iMessage) on your phone since their phone doesn't understand iMessage.

9. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc