iMessages unified...almost!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cosmic68, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cosmic68 macrumors 6502

cosmic68

So I've unified my iMessages on my iPhone with my Mac running Mountain Lion.

When I get and send messages on my iPhone they show up on my Mac.

When I send messages from my iPhone-I don't see them in the conversation thread on the Mac-confusing (I can see replies on Mac).

Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks.

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Is your MAC fully up to date? Did you add your phone number on your Mac to your imessage account (its not automatic, you have to add it in accounts or preferences of imessage)

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

No.

You need your iPhone to be running iOS 6, and your Mac must be using OS X 10.8.2. If your phone is on iOS 5, or if your Mac is on 10.8.1 or anything earlier than 10.8.2, it will not work. Your Mac and your phone should also be logged into the same iCloud account.

When you install iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2, your Mac should prompt you about messaging through your phone number. You should also receive a notice about your computer now using your phone number for messaging.

If you were previously messaging people with an email address as your iMessage "caller ID," you may need to do a few extra things. Make sure that all of your devices are using your phone number as your "caller ID," but because some people's conversation threads with you may still be directing to an email address, ensure that all of your devices are still set to receive messages at the email address(es) that you were using.

4. cosmic68 thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmic68

Frikkin genius. It's working now. It was the bit about making all devices using my phone number as caller ID.

Thanks (and to the chap above you).

5. bigeuan macrumors newbie

Not sure if this can be done but I would love to be able to delete one message or even a whole conversation on one device and it would be deleted on all devices. Is there a way for this to be done? i.e., somebody texts my phone and it comes through on the macs and ipad as it should but when I delete the message on the phone it would also be deleted on all other devices, like a true cloud based service.

6. outphase macrumors 65816

I think that they're all stored locally, so probably not.

7. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I like the way iMessage works now. See it on all my devices.