All iPads iMessaging with iPad only

Discussion in 'iPad' started by symple84, Oct 21, 2014.

1. symple84 macrumors member

Is it possible to have iMessaging on only an iPad or do you have to use an iPhone? I have a Macbook Air, iMac, and Note 4. But I was wondering if I incorporate a new iPad Air 2, will I be able to use Handoff and Continuity without the purchasing an iPhone.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Good question. I'd like to know too. The whole thing is very confusing and had me thinking I could now use my iPad to text people using iMessage that were on android or windows phones but that's not the case. I think? :confused:

3. baltoyyz macrumors member

You can iMessage from an iPad with no phone. Both my kids have iPad minis only and use iMessage.

4. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

i used to use iMessage exclusively with the iPod touch. only problem is you can only send & receive messages from other apple devices. you can't exchange messages with people using other smartphones like android. but there are apps you can download that will give you a phone number and allow you to text with everyone. I wish apple would do this with the messages app, so I can text everyone and just use their app. those other apps try to get you to spend money via in app purchases

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Right, we meant being able to text people that do NOT have idevices. Like windows phones, android tablets,etc.

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

You are correct, this is not the case. iMessage is a messaging protocol that is proprietary to Apple, so only Apple devices are capable of using it. Continuity's ability called "SMS Relay" - the feature that allows you to send and receive standard SMS texts on Mac devices - requires an iPhone.

This is because, as the feature name implies, the iPhone is being utilized as a relay for the texts. Texts sent on an iPad or Mac to a non-Apple devices are sent to Apple's servers, which forwards it to your iPhone, which then sends the text out to the cellular network. When a message is received by the phone, it sends it on to Apple's servers, which then distribute it back to the other iOS and Mac devices. Without the iPhone there is no tie-in to the cellular network.

7. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

No. iMessage can only be used between apple devices that can run it. To text to other devices like windows or android you need a 3rd party app.

8. baltoyyz macrumors member

Sorry missed that. As stated in this thread you need the iPhone to relay the sms message. Or you can use a 3rd party app like textme.