iMessege could learn a few lessons from FB Messenger

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by ajiuo, Oct 10, 2015.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Apple needs to step it up Messenger is being improved all of the time.

1) Apple should allow message history to be stored on iCloud instead of locally on the device. Then you would have the option to archive or delete... Like on messenger.

2) Apple should slow people to send money to friends using Apple Pay... Another hand Messenger feature.

3) Why not make android and Windows apps and or API's

4) stickers might be cool

2. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

End to end encryption, privacy, the prevention of snooping. That's one big thing Facebook messenger doesn't have that iMessages does, and probably why you don't have features like iCloud history. Hangouts and FB don't do that, so a man in the middle could wiretap your conversations.

3. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

No thanks - don't want any of those features. People can already send me money from bank accounts via imessage

4. yillbs macrumors 6502

yillbs

I agree with this guy, apple has told us like 100 times they are focusing on being safe. And while it's annoying, you can blame the liberals who seem to think all their data is being mined to " hurt the man " .

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple doesn't want to make the apps available on competitor devices so that people would use their devices and remain in their ecosystem.

6. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Sadly. Facetime would have been a really good overall system to have had on all. iMessage .... maybe.... There are others I like.

As for FB Messenger ... not only no, but feckin no :eek:

7. I7guy macrumors G5

The "only" way to ditch the features is to ditch the iphone. Stay with the iphone and you stay with those features.:(

8. vlinkz macrumors regular

This (and the other privacy protection abilities) is why I use iMessage in the first place.

Facebook and privacy are mutually exclusive. FB could learn from Apple but that's not their business model.

9. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

Sending money would be about the only feature I'd possibly care about in that list. I far prefer using iMessage over FB Messenger.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't want Facebook program features on my phone. The teenyboppers and social media addicts can learn to get by with what their beloved Facebook provides.

I like the security and simplicity of iMessage.

11. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Well. iOS emoji is way better than Facebook sticker when comparing between them.

And Facebook messenger is currently the only app constantly notifying me to open notification when I turn it off in settings. Too bad that Apple doesn't restrict notification settings so that I can use it to limit such pop ups.

And, as long as mobile page can handle almost anything, why I need to bother installing TWO apps on phone and swap them in between in order to use those features?

So, except a Facebook bookmark, I leave no place for Facebook.

12. GrumpyTrucker macrumors 6502a

I get some of these arguments against the original post, but I'm struggling with the encryption/privacy thing. Apple already keep almost all our data on their servers in one form or another, if we use their apps. iCloud emails and iWork documents etc are just two examples. No one seems to be going security nuts over that. Is there any particular reason iMessages are considered differently by people, and can't be stored there but still encrypted? How may of us have lost precious messages from loved ones no longer with us due to a device failure or corrupted/lost/missed backup? If those messages could be restored - or at least viewed somehow - from iCloud so much the better.

I too would like to see the ability (make it an option if people are that freaked) for my message history to be stored on iCloud. And yes, release Android versions of iMessage and FaceTime so we can communicate with Green friends using iMessage etc. I don't know about most people here but my circle is probably 50:50 iOS/Android. No way on this earth will either 50% swap to the other platform. Making it easier to communicate using a single protocol cross platform has to be better for everyone surely?

Having said that, the one feature I wish they'd put in iMessage beyond all others is a usable search facility. Having to scroll through days or months worth of messages to find a link I know someone sent me is a pain.

13. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Here is the point, which I just have that feeling days ago.
    iMessage search capability is WAY beyond expectation. Searching links is almost a joke. Searching messages? I don't think it will bring out all "hi" message on ALL conversations if I type "hi" in search field.

14. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

The only thing from FB messenger I'd want is the "read message" indicator in group messages. That's it.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

I agree that iMessage and Facetime for Android (and Windows/Linux) would be a boost.
    For texting though - my use group is about 33/67 iOS/Android - we use a secure text messenger for now.