iMessgage for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Dec 28, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I would really love to have iMessage on my MBP, do you think it's gonna come any time soon or at all to Mac OS? And if you do think it's gonna come to Mac OS, do you think it's gonna be free or paid like FaceTime (I have it for free, but it's also in the Mac App store for $0.99)

2. Axiosion macrumors newbie

Only Apple knows for sure whether or not iMessage is going to come to Mac OS X, although it sure would be nice if it did.

3. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

I really hope it does come. Its so annoying working on something on the Mac then having to pick up your iPhone to talk to someone who has an iPad but also has a Mac and is working on it...

4. v2club thread starter macrumors regular

Sure only Apple knows, I was talking more about your opinion based on previous similar cases.

5. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I think its only logical, they started FaceTime on the iPhone/iPad. They started a lot of the multi-touch gestures on the iPhone originally, which have been also used extensively on the iPad as well (4 finger grasp?) and have got a lot on Mac now.

I doubt it would come as part of an incremental update though, its probably something that apple would tout as a feature of importance! ;)

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

AFAIK, there have been recent rumors suggesting iMessage integration within OS X's iChat.app. I would certainly hope that this is true and that iMessages is introduced sooner than later; however, as stated above, only Apple would know for certain.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think it'll eventually come. I think it's an opportunity for Apple to finally do something with iChat. Before it was that small app to chat with others that have Mac's/AIM but with the user base being as big as it is, Apple could really bring that IM experience to their ecosystem, a BBM-like experience.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I think it will become a feature as well. And I agree that it would be convenient since when I'm using the computer, I don't like having to pick up my phone to reply to someone who has iMessage (for those who don't have iMessage, then I understand).

9. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

I would love for iMessage to come out for OS X as soon as possible, but since we are theoretically still waiting for iBooks for OS X, I'm not exactly holding my breath.

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have a feeling that iBooks will not be released on the OS X. I'm not sure why I have this feeling but it doesn't seem to me that Apple is ever going to release it. Anyhow, I cannot speak for Apple and can only postulate so time will tell.

11. SplicedBanjo macrumors regular

Yes, I said "theoretically" because I'm also losing faith that iBooks will ever come out for Mac OS X. I do believe that at one point, Steve Jobs implied that it would, though.

Considering Kindle books work on iOS and Mac OS (not to mention on Kindles, Windows, and Android), I'm amazed that anyone ever uses iBooks - but apparently they do! :)

12. Liquinn Suspended

It would be a cool thing to have though, but we'll see.

13. -LikesMac- macrumors 6502

What would be the best

I always wondered why Apple didn't make a "Super iChat" (that would not be the actual name), where the three programs are combined into one.
    • iChat
    • iMessage
    • FaceTime
    With those three put together (more like combined into iChat, so the program would be a beefed up iChat if anything), that would be the best IM/Video chat solution! I like having a unified program, does anyone else?

Apple could also put this "Super iChat" on iOS. FaceTime as a seperate application would be gone, but iMessage would exist in two places:Within the Messages application, and within the "Super iChat" application (that's not the real name). I would prefer it to be an application built into iOS (for perfect integration), but it could work out as an app-store app. :D