img failing to write?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeSantor, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MikeSantor macrumors regular

So I have a folder that I am trying to turn into an encrypted Image. Everything is straight forward. Go to disk utility, create new image from Folder, Select the folder, Turn 128 bit encrytion on, Choose my password and then the new window opens and telling me that Disk utility is writing the image. When it gets to the end of the process, the window says "Copying..." and it just sits there and hangs.

I have tried closing it down and going to the DMG and when I try opening it a "Warning" box pops up and it says "The following disk image could not be opened" "Resource temporarily unavailable"

I have tried this twice, it did the same thing both times. I have left it in the "Copying..." state for several hours. Nothing...

Any ideas?

Specs are late 2011 13 inch pro, OS X 10.9.1.

Thanks guys.

2. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so plot thickens....

I got an idea. I have dual hard drives in my MPB and I thought maybe if I transfered the file which was on the second HDD in the optipay onto the main partitioned drive, an SSD in the normal HDD bay that maybe something would happen.

So I go through the whole thing and sure enough, it works. I go to open the dmg which was written and placed on the desktop, it verifies and opens right up. Problem is, it didnt ask for a password. Could I really have forgotten the password? Maybe...? So I try it a second time. Making sure to click 128 bit encryption, but the password in twice and it works again. But again, it does not ask for a password, it just opens right up.

Well im half way there. What can I be missing? its a 16GB file. The size shouldnt have anything to do with the encryption not working. Why is the password not coming up on this?

3. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

sure you haven't left "remember password in my keychain" checked when creating the image (just below where you enter the pasword twice when creating the image)?

likewise if you have that checkbox ticked when you're asked the password when opening the image (in which case it'll never ask you again on that user account)

send the file to someone elses mac / access it via another user account and they'll need to enter the password as it isn't saved in their keychain

4. MikeSantor thread starter macrumors regular

Snorkel, your the man. Glad it was something stupid that I was overlooking.