.IMG Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MattGarner, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MattGarner macrumors regular

I tried using the Disk Utility but it won't let me burn it etc. It comes up as;

[​IMG]

Is there any Application I could use to burn them to discs? I did google search and on this forum but they are went to Disk Utility.

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

You could try Roxio's Toast. Where did you get the .img files?

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

.img.... isn't a disc image file.

To burn a cd with an image file, right click, new burn folder, drag the file to the folder, open the burn folder, burn disk.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Not true. Apple's Disk Copy used .img as the extension for disc image files since System 6, if not before then. It remained Apple's extension for disc image files until well after the release of MacOS X when it was superseded by .dmg.

That said, .img has been used by many other developers for many other things. I have seen it used by a scanning electron microscope as the extension for its digital micrograph files. (I presume that the SEM saves micrographs in the GEM bit image format.) The takeaway message is that the meaning of .img is determined by the source of the file. If you don't know where your file came from, then you can flail around forever trying to figure it out.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

wow I feel dumb, I totally knew that. For some reason I read it as .img, prolly means image, jpg is an image file. jpegs aren't disc image files!

In my defense I'm on a lot of drugs, I got my tonsils out!

6. MattGarner thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, never thought of doing it like that! :) Oh well, its true what they say "You learn something new everyday"