IMG tags are starting to give me headaches...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bigandy, May 11, 2008.

1. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Each and every time I see a large image on a post, I report it, asking the mods/gods to replace the tags with TIMG (thumbnail image instead of full size image).

I'm aware that others do this too, and that it must be a bit of an annoyance for the mods and gods to go correcting people's niggles with image sizes.

Yes, I have a decent resolution screen (depending on where I'm sitting 1680x1050 or 1440x900), but I despise having to trawl through huge images. Not to mention it doesn't do nice things to site layouts.

There has been a particular problem with it in the monthly desktop screenshot threads, with mods trawling through those, cleaning them up constantly.

My question, or even suggestion, is that maybe the little [​IMG] button should be changed to wrap [img][/img] around images instead of [IMG][/IMG].

Of course, the TIMG tag would have to be modified to only thumbnail an image if it was over a certain size, but that's about 3 minutes worth of PHP.

Any one agree this could be quite good, not only for saving potential mod time, but also making the site look far nicerer? ;)

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I too would like to see an automated solution. Although there are mixed opinions about how large an image is too large, I hope we'll find a way to let the forum software take care of reducing the displayed size of images over a certain maximum.

I'd also like to see images in quotes turned into links, so by default the image isn't repeated.

Our software doesn't currently do these tricks for us.

3. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I too would like to see IMG be replaced with TIMG. Nothing worse than having to scroll through massive images.

4. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

I did actually have a longer post prepared about maybe swapping them, but I came across a problem with that - try TIMG'ing a small image:

Actual Size:
    [​IMG]

TIMG'd:
    [​IMG]

And for that reason, I suggested implementing a 'fix' so it would only TIMG larger images.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

^ that i believe is the problem with the timg tags, is that it upscales the smaller images, and afaik, there is no workaround, but if we could somehow implement this it would indeed be awesome. same with the quoting of images turned into links.

6. bigandy thread starter macrumors G3

bigandy

Well it could be done, as vBulletin isn't encoded with silly things like Zend.. But, they don't support modifications - so if our lovely MacRumors overlords have an issue with that.... :eek:

If only I had a copy of vB, I'd write a function for it.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can download the demo you know. :p

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I really wouldn't like to see TIMG as a default or forced in any way, especially in the pictures forum where, duh, big images may happen. The really oversized ones usually get reported and a mod sorts it out anyway, if not by the original poster. I don't know what is involved in changing it but I would hope that it would only be applied to genuinely larger images and really only outside of the pictures forum or photography forum or something.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

make timg the default, but img as optional, perhaps? i don't think we need to get rid of of lock out the img tags completely.

10. Tattoo macrumors 6502

You can make photos of you as BIG as you like! :D;)