Immediacy of Change in Price/Components After Macworld?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vanbarman, Jan 11, 2008.

1. vanbarman macrumors newbie

Hi, like many people here, I am a long-time PC user switching to Mac for the first time.

My question is: In anyone's experience or recollection, how soon after Macworld are prices likely to drop (if at all).

And how soon after Macworld would a machine with the new announced components such as the Penyn chip, or a more powerful base unit for the current price, appear?

Thanks for any info.

VbM

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Apple almost never drops its prices, other than on particular deals like buy a mac and get an iPod at a discounted price (for students only).

The only price dropping is on reburb models from the previous generation.

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

It's usually "newer components at the same price", but the Mac Pro did just see a $200 cut.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

To answer the question more directly, you should know the prices of any new products upon their release or announcement. Any outdated products will be immediately (or nearly immediately) reduced, if they remain available, at the refurb store.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Really it saw a rise of $300.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I guess I was comparing the former $2499 Quad 2.66 to the new Quad 2.8 at $2299... Even though, yeah, the $2799 8 core 2.8 is the "standard" for marketing purposes.

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Drops come with new models and occasionally (iPhone) they see a price drop with very little fanfair.

8. vanbarman thread starter macrumors newbie

I see. So if and when an older gen. MbP or Imac would be refurbed is when you would actually see a decline in the price?

Is it at all possible that the current crop of MbP's would be sold for the same base price (ie. 2299 for the 15" standard model) with the new technology?
    (I know I'm off on that price, just an example :)