Immediate Attention Needed - iChat problems reinstall?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheekybobcat, Apr 27, 2008.

1. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

My iChat was messed up on my MacBook and unexpectedly quit every time I opened it. I called Apple and this is what they had me do...

1. Restart Computer and try iChat (no dice)
    2. Uninstall iChat, put in Install Disc 1, optional install, install iChat (no dice)
    3. Uninstall iChat, plists, and packages, put in Install Disc 1, restart, hold c, optional install, install iChat (no dice)
    4. Create new "test" account, try iChat (no dice)
    5. Restart, hold c, disc utility, verify Macintosh HD (HD passed, but iChat still didn't work)
    6. Archive and Install Mac OS X. I am very weary about this because I don't want to lose the things I have on my MacBook. I am actually in the process of reinstalling OS X, not quite ready to actually do it but only a few steps away.

If there is any other possible solutions, please tell me. If you need any other info, please say so.

Note: I have a Time Machine backed up external HD, but I only backed up my whole HD once. If you need the specs, my signature shows them. Thanks.

2. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Surely if the Time Machine backup is recent can't you just start with a fresh install and copy everything back from the backup?

If you're not willing to try this then an Archive and Install will almost certainly solve the problem.

Have you tried creating another user account and running iChat? This'll pinpoint if it is system wide or a user account issue.

3. cheekybobcat thread starter macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Whoops :eek: Yes, I did create another account. I knew I forgot something...

Oh. And I'm sure you saw this but I just want to be certain...having only one Time Machine Backup is alright, correct?