Immediate debate: Pay $90 for the i7 bump?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by duelingdragons, Jul 20, 2011.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Is it even worth it? I wish I could see some benchmarks already :0

Also I wonder if Apple stores will have the i7 model today.

2. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I would wait for benchmarks but I would suspect something like 15% increase which equates to no real world notice.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I would say definitely not. I would doubt side-by-side if you would notice any difference no matter what tasks you perform.

4. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I was thinking. This post made me feel better :)

5. thats nice macrumors member

save the $90.

put it towards a case or applecare :)

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Quick Question - wondered if anyone else has seen this.

I ordered a CTO model, 13", and opted for the I7 processor. When I checkout, and get my order email from Apple, it says "I5" in the list of items in the config, but charges me the correct price for the upgrade. System glitch?

7. Dowjohnny macrumors 6502

Dowjohnny

Bto

Why can you only BTO the "highend" MBAs (11 or 13) to the i7 ? I mean why can't i get the 13" MBA with 128GB SSD and the i7? Sense?

8. blipmusic macrumors regular

Besides a few extra CPU cycles, are the i5 and i7 exactly the same feature wise?

I'm contemplating getting 256GB *or* i7, though I'll wager the extra space will be of much more use to me.

Though, since I'm hoping for a friend to pick it up for me while she's in the US (Northern Europe here) I might have to be content with the "base" i5/128GB. She'll probably pick it up at a brick and mortar store, meaning no BTO (my wallet will come away happier anyway :D).

[EDIT:] Also probably a few more minutes of battery on the i5?

9. bp1000 macrumors 65816

10. JSalig macrumors 6502

I wouldn't get an i7 even if it was offered at the same price of an i5. I have an i7 machine and it kills my battery life. Not to mention the heat it produces. Always regretted not getting the i5. The macbook air might be different, but I'm not taking the chance.

11. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Same issue, ordered 1.8Ghz 13", shows as i5 in order. Not worried about it though.

13. blipmusic, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

blipmusic macrumors regular

Good to hear. The only CPU intensive stuff I use are a few audio apps that are reasonably well optimized anyway (Propellerheads' Record and Reason - well, they're becoming one product next release). And a game or two (yes, I know - let's not go there ;)).

In the end I'm coming from a mid/late 2007 2,2GHz MBP (only 2GB RAM as well :D) so both overall, everyday performance and battery - and my eternal love: portability - should see quite a boost anyway.

[EDIT:] Relating to the 11" by the way.

14. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I agree.

Also noticed that if you select i7, estimated ship date gets pushed to 1-3 days.

15. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

16. bp1000 macrumors 65816

i5 v i7

The only difference is more L3 cache and a higher clock speed and turbo boost.

The extra 0.2ghz on boost will give you slightly better encoding, decoding times or image processing times but i reckon you wouldn't notice it or miss it if you only had the i5.

The SSD is so quick the air even with a i5 1.7ghz is going feel lighting day to day. If you do a lot of video encoding and graphics work then shouldn't you be getting a quad mbp anyway.

17. blipmusic macrumors regular

18. LRJordan macrumors member

I didn't pay it for mine, I don't see the real benefit of it to be honest

19. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

This i7 is not the same as what you have. Ultra low voltage that has never been used in a Mac before.

I would check the amount of cache on the i7 vs the i5 because if its larger it can have a fairly significant improvement over the i5 in certain situations. Benchmarks will tell all.

Better drivers for one thing. Plus people were assuming benchmarks of the HD 3000 on Windows translated to same performance on OS X which was never the case for many different reasons.

20. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Yeah, im wondering if both tests were performed with Lion, otherwise they might not say much. If the performance in gaming in OS X can be around the old model it's okay atleast.

21. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

If you are regularly running CPU-heavy tasks where you have to wait for multiple minutes, so a 10% CPU increase shave off 5-10 seconds,

If you enjoy having a top-end CPU for the feeling of "ultimate" computer,

Then go for i7.

If you want to save money on something that's no where near worth the positive effect it'll have on your computing experience, don't spend the $90.

22. tekksan macrumors regular

what's your delivery date?

23. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

2nd August in the UK. Shipping is 3 days, so assuming it's coming from China to account for the delay.

24. astrofaes macrumors member

Same for me (ordered in the UK) - 2nd August. I want it now! :eek:

Hopefully that date is a worst case estimate :)

25. penguintri macrumors member

Same for me 02/08 uk. Rang up to see if see if I could pay for faster shipping. They said no, its coming from china asap, but the 2nd is the latest it should arrive apparently