Immediate Help for new MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Apr 15, 2010.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

As some of you might have noticed, I posted about three to four threads about getting the newer MBP 13" and return the old MBP 13" (2009).
    I bought my MBP, and HAD to, less than four weeks ago, and I was pleased with it. I had to buy it because 50% of the transition in Keynote doesn't work well with GMA 950 (White Macbook 2007). That presentation was to be graded as a test grade, and professionalism was part of the grade (20%, and how well the machine performs counts too).
    Now, I feel like having inferior one, and I shouldn't since I have boost in graphics and performance compared to White Macbook (2007). I have read from many of you that yourself or your friends have actually went to the Apple Store and asked for the new one (after 14 days), and they did gave you one.

I live in Japan, and sometimes these people (you might not agree with me, but this is true) wouldn't let a foreigner exchange any products (which happened to my broken iPhone 3G). Can you please write me a supportive and convincing sentences (or essay would be better ) to help me?

P.S. I work a lot with Safari, Photoshop, Pixelmator, Maya 2010, Keynote (basically graphic design stuff), and some gaming with Starcraft 2 and CoD4

2. swish2351 macrumors 6502

First try to see if they will let you, and if they don't, ask to speak to a manager or say "I have a 14 day return policy, so I want my new Macbook Pro NOW."

3. theappleguy macrumors 6502

I can't really help you as I am not familiar with Apple's US exchange policies (you can't return a used product in most other countries because a new model came out), but I'm sure someone else will know a bit more about it.

I know it is frustrating, but look at the bright side:

- the updated models are likely only marginally faster
    - they look exactly the same
    - you've had a month of use and managed to get your project done in that time

4. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Here is my exact situation (maybe I wasn't clear on this):

I had saved up four years of money (and this is indeed true) to get a better laptop in the future. I heard about Core i processors and better graphics to be introduced in February, so I waited since September. However, as the day got closer, Apple never seemed to update it. The day came, which was February 16th when I had to do my presentation. I bought on 15th, worked for five hours, and got it done on by 2:00 AM in the morning. The presentation went well, and I got A+ on it. However, what I wanted was to wait a bit longer to get the better one (was hoping for Core i processors) but I had to get one for presentation. On April 13th, they released the new one, and I got pissed off.

That's all.

5. Christina1971 macrumors regular

I understand your exact situation, but I'm not sure I understand the request. You want us to write you an "essay" that you can then take to the Apple Store to convince them to take your machine back? Why would the Apple Store listen to us?

Wouldn't it be better to work on your feelings that you got something inferior? You now have a computer that does *exactly what you need it to do.* You were pleased with it, and now all of a sudden you hate it because something newer came out. But something newer is ALWAYS going to come out. Yes, the timing may have been unfortunate, but you still have a computer that works well for your needs.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I don't see any reason you are entitled to exchange it.

7. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

nononono,
    sorry that I wrote "write an essay" because I was really "pissed off" at that time being.
    The only problem is that, the newer on has 4GB of RAM, 90GB more HDD, better graphic (even slight is ok), and better battery life.
    I am a RAM heavy user; Photoshop CS4, Pixelmator, Maya 2010. Sometimes games too; Starcraft 2 Beta and CoD4. They run good, but the performance for the reaction time (e.g. Photoshop trimming and Maya 2010's rendering time) is few seconds difference, and that's not what I expected. My friend has got the new MBP, and when I compared it, there was a big difference.

Are there any good reasons that I can tell the Apple Store manager or any person besides the RAM? I could give it a try, but some of the people are not very nice, unlike in NY Store.

Oh, and btw, I opened up CoconutBattery app, and told me that my Mac is 4 month old. Is that true? I have been using it only for 26 days.

8. Daud macrumors regular

If you bought in mid February as you say, you are two MONTHS not WEEKS since the purchase. First check what policies your Apple store has.

9. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

You should have returned it right after your presentation.

Not to Hijack but, I bought my MBP 6 months ago and since new models were released I feel like I am entitled to one. How can I get apple to give me a brand new computer for no reason? THX GUIZE
    if you cant catch the sarcasm, get off the internet

10. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Your chances of getting a new machine are slim to none. It comes down to their computer systems and the ability to process an exchange. When the speed bump came for the 15" UMBP last year, I was able to switch mine because it was within 30 days and on the receipt it was processed as a closed box return (full price) and a new purchase.

Other than that, the only possibility is the willingness of the apple store manager to bend the rules, something thats very unlikely given that you are 2 months into your new laptop.

Take for example the applecare, once your over the 365 days, its impossible to extend it in any way. If I were you I would be content with my decision on buying it early given the grade you got and stop thinking of ways to get a new one because its gonna be close to impossible.

In regards to the "4 months" timestamp on Coconut battery, I'm sure you don't think your laptop was assembled and tested the day you bought it.

11. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

you could just get some additional RAM for your current MBP. the 13" is hardly faster then the previous one, and honestly imho after a months' use trading it in for a new one seems a bit excessive to me. Why not just enjoy the MBP you have now, it is not as if it got any slower since april 13, besides it was well known that the new models were coming out one of these days.

12. Dazzerukuk macrumors newbie

sell it!

Sell your current MBP and buy a new if it matters to you that much. Why on earth would Apple exchanged your old computer for a new one?!