Immediate Help Needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlakeBrattina, May 10, 2011.

1. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to the Mac world and am having some issues with my one month old MBP. I accidentally deleted my System Preferences (assumed), it is no where to be found. Now, after trying to replace it or get it back I now have random files popping up named .cups, .bash, .trash and I cannot figure out why, and when I go to move them to the trash they are now frozen and I cannot even stop them from sending to the trash...

If anyone is willing to possibly Screen Share or something to help me out, I would really appreciate it.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe make screenshots and attach them to your post.

Also try this System Preferences from Mac OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard and if it works with your Mac: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR_files/System Preferences.zip

Also take a look here:
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

And if you have the time:

3. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here is the example of what I was talking about.. You will notice the top 5 files are not even available to open, and are text documents, however, they will not delete...

[​IMG]

The .DS file is also on the desktop (which I do not like, I keep my desktop blank with the exception of my background). And I cannot remove it from there either

4. simsaladimbamba, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

simsaladimbamba

There is nothing to worry about, as those are normal files, they are just hidden normally. You have enabled Finder to show hidden files via some Terminal command or Onyx or another third party application.
    Just open Terminal (Applications / Utilities) and enter the following:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder
    then press ENTER and Finder restarts and the files will be invisible again.
    What applications you have installed to have this option enabled?

Btw, did the attached System Preferences work with your Mac?

5. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have copied and pasted that command to which the files have no gone invisible.

And I am still having a very hard time getting my System Preferences back :( :apple:

6. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean the attached System Preferences .zip file does not work for you?
    What Mac OS X version do you have?

If you have Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, use the grey Restore DVD that came with your Mac (if it has 10.6 on it) or the 10.6 Upgrade DVD (if you used that) and reinstall Mac OS X normally.
    That will NOT delete any of your data but restore any errors you created and re-create all deleted OS applications and files.

How did you come upon deleting your System Preferences application?

Do you use some application like MacKeeper or CleanMyMac?

PS: Have you tried the built in search yet to locate System Preferences?
    Use the method to search for system files in the following post:
    Best way to FULLY DELETE a program

7. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

I initially used the Magnifying Glass search. Then for good measure, went to finder and typed in the search field "System Preferences". In all honesty, I do not know how the application went missing. I have not downloading any cleaning applications what-so-ever.

I will try to do the full re-install for any applications that are missing.

In terms of the files that I had posted the screen shot of for you, should I copy and paste that whole input field into the terminal? They are still showing up on my desktop etc

8. simsaladimbamba

Again, did you try the System Preferences file I linked to in my first post (and here again) and did it work or did it not work?
    If not, what Mac OS X version do you have? To find out, use the graphic posted in #6 to advise you.

And I made a mistake when I posted the code, as I left TRUE, which should be FALSE, thus the correct code to hide the files is (everything in the code window (and in red)):
    Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"]defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder[/COLOR][/B]

9. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

My mistake, I had missed that link and went straight to the Pacifier route. That file has opened up a new System Preferences option that I will place on my Dock.

The code also now works. I can't thank you enough for taking time out of your day to help me. Gradually learning the extent of these amazing machines!