Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfan1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I am a fairly new Mac user and just got my first MBP in August. It has been going great and I have had very few errors where Safari had to "close unexpectedly" Anyway....I had my computer on sleep with only Safari and Excel running and when I opened it up there was a gray box with a message that said "you need so restart you computer immediately. to do this hold down the gray button" there was no explanation of the problem or what could have happened that caused this message. The only thing it had underneath it was the same exact message in a few other languages....WHAT COULD THIS POSSIBLY BE ???

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
That is a Kernel Panic...Kinda like the Mac version of a Blue Screen of Death.

Go into /Applications/Utilities/Console.app and see if there are any logs that might help locate the problem.

sportsfan1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I opened up console...and there is a message that says " submitted mac book pro panic report" but i have no idea what that means or what to do....i now very little about computers....what should i do ???

BurningJah

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Belgium
there isn't much you can do about it!
I had the same "problem" last week! just re-enjoy your problem free mac!
I've hadn't had any problems since then

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
If it hasn't happened a second time, I wouldn't worry too much. At this point, just back up your data with time machine, and if the kernel panics do start coming in, you can reinstall OS X, then restore all the data you have from time machine.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
the log should be in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (Mac OS X v10.6), or /Library/Logs/PanicReporter (Mac OS X v10.5).
post it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.