Immediately open edit window in iCal upon creation of new event?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reubs, Apr 20, 2010.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

One thing that annoys me about iCal is that when I hit the shortcut to create a new event, I have to hit another shortcut to bring up the edit window. Ideally the edit window would pop up immediately upon creation of a new event, but I can't find a way to make this happen.

Does anyone know a work-around for this?

Another annoying thing is that I can't just hit Cmd-N to open a new event; I have to make sure I'm in a calendar that can be edited before creating a new event. I don't think there's a fix for this; I think it's just one of those things.

I searched for info about this, but I didn't find anything.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

When I create a new event, I use the mouse to select the calendar and then double-click a date. That brings up the window for me to type the event text and set all the parameters.

Are you using a keyboard shortcut to create a new event? What does that bring up, if not the "edit window"? Do you have more than one calendar? If so, how do you select it? (I suppose you can change that parameter later.)

3. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a calendar group, and whenever I open up iCal, the selection defaults to the group.

(I actually just rearranged the calendars; it appears that the iCal default selection is for the topmost calendar, not the one that was selected upon exit)

When I double click a date, this is what pops up:

http://drp.ly/RyO12

From THERE, I have to hit another keyboard shortcut to open up an edit window to put in all the pertinent details for my events. It's not a huge deal, but the edit window in Tiger could be always left open, and it didn't obscure other views.

4. yensteel macrumors regular

I agree with reubs. It's not as convenient as it should have been.

I would prefer to be able to enter the location and other details just by double-clicking the appointment.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So what mode are you in? I use the Month view. I also have OS 10.5.8 if that makes any difference. Perhaps this is a 10.6 "enhancement". But, if not in Month View, I'd be curious to know if it does the same or a similar thing.

I suspect it won't. I just tried one in Week view, and it did the same thing you reported. Day view is even more cumbersome.

But, are you saying that you did not experience this in a previous version of iCal?

6. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

In previous versions of iCal (I know in Tiger, at least) there was a sidebar for creating and editing events. I think that sidebar could be left open all the time, and one might have been able to work from there exclusively when creating events. All I'm saying is that it seems kind of cumbersome to have to hit multiple keystrokes to bring up a new event and then to edit that new event.

If Apple didn't hear a cry out for change between Leopard and SL, I'm sure this option won't return. In general, though, I find pop-ups to be a bad idea. It covers other things, and it almost always slows things down.