immigrating from Leopard 2 SnowL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Oct 13, 2010.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I have a powerbookG4 using Leopard and an iMac corei7 using SnowL. Ill be permanently using the iMac from now and on so i want to transfer all my files from PBook to the iMac but i also want to transfer the timemachine settings/backup that was loged from my PBook.
    Is this something that can be done? How?

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You don't want to transfer the TimeMachine settings or the backups themselves? If it's the latter, the backups are on your external so there's no transfer there. If it's the former, you could easily just use migration assistant and transfer everything, and then change your TimeMachine settings before connecting an external drive. That's a lot less time than manually moving everything to avoid the TimeMachine settings.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

i dont quite understand what you mean, but what i want to do is to make a clone of the PowerBook in my iMac and keep the backups that are in the ext. HD. As if there was no PowerBookG4 and i was working all along in the iMac. Do i make sense?

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

OK. You can't clone the drive in your PowerBook and have it work in the iMac since the PowerBook is a PowerPC computer and the iMac is Intel. You have a couple options. You can boot the PowerBook into Target Disk Mode (TDM) by holding down the T key at startup. Connect it to the iMac via FW (you'll want to use a FW800, or 9 pin, cable) and then launch Migration Assistant, which should be in your Utilities folder in your Applications folder. Allow it to work its magic and you'll be good to go!

Alternatively, if you wish to have as few PPC coded applications on your Intel iMac as possible, you could rebuild your system from scratch on the iMac. By that, I mean going through and downloading the latest version of all your applications (which also weeds out the ones you don't really want). You'd still transfer over all your documents and media files manually through TDM, though. This process, while it will give you a cleaner system, takes much much longer.

Your old TimeMachine backups will still be accessible, but you will have to start a new set of backups no matter what you do.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

ok so let me get this straight...
    1. with the MAssistant i can transfer all the files to the iMac, preferably manually so i will weed out stuff i dont want (of course im not interested in older Apps since on the iMac ill have a new set).

2. regarding the TM backup set i already have from my powerbook, i will not be able to adapt it or make it usable in my iMac with the new TM backup set.
    How would you suggest to organise it and gather all filew in the new machine?

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

1. what will the migration assistant do exactly?
    2. how can i get the files from TM backups, from every day i begun to make backups?