Immigrating into US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by *Y*, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. *Y* macrumors regular

    Oct 19, 2004
    Hey Guys,

    I have a serious question about immigrating into the US. A cousin of mine is visiting us here in Va from Germany. She is 16. She really likes it down here and was wondering if there is anyway to immigrate here. Could you please point me to some resources where I could find more info.


  2. thedude110 macrumors 68020


    Jun 13, 2005
    Um ... being 16 and really liking something might be a reason to immigrate, but it sounds more like a reason to buy a gaming system or go on a date.

    I don't mean to be flippant, and I'm not prying for details. But as you suggest immigration is a serious thing that demands serious thought (and can have serious personal consequences).

    In any case -- welcome her to the United States via this highly confusing bureaucratic website (now featuring an entirely distorted photo of George Bush -- where would we be without our government webmasters?).
  3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040


    Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I had eine Freundin in college und sie war sehr schon. Anyway she was from Germany and was over here as an Au Pair for the summer.

    Your cousin might be interested in trying that out. It would get her a job etc.

    /Still remember her 10 years later.
    //GIS'ed her and she is still hot.
  4. LeeTom macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2004
    It's much easier to get a student visa than anything else. when it's time for her to go to college, she could move here for a pretty solid length of time.
  5. alexstein macrumors 6502a


    Aug 23, 2004
    She is pretty young to make a decision like that.

    Like mentioned before she can do an au pair program through her school in germany.

    If she is still interested in coming over here she can apply to different colleges in the US.

    There are several visa types you can look into.

    Immigrating from a european country like germany, france, UK is not very easy to do. Trust me I've done it and it takes a long time to get the process done and more luck to get this process done.
  6. medea macrumors 68030


    Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Just pay an american to marry her. If she's not then she wouldn't even have to pay, they might pay her. She's a bit young though so she'll either have to falsify her info or wait until she's eighteen.


    Here is some info for you
  7. balamw Moderator


    Staff Member

    Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    As I recall you can't get a student (F) visa while in the US. You need to leave the country...

    If you're really serious though, have a chat with an immigration specialized lawyer.

  8. tonyeck macrumors 6502


    Sep 3, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV

    I have been in the US on a J1 visa for 18 months now... And prior to that, 4 months on J1 two years ago...

    It is fairly easy to get non-immigrant visas, but like balamw said, try an immigration specialist
  9. pianoman macrumors 68000


    May 31, 2006
    contact your congressman. when i worked for my congressman, one of our main issues was helping immigrants get into the country legally. an immigration lawyer might be helpful, too, but contacting your congressman is free and a good first step.
  10. Kardashian macrumors 68020


    Sep 4, 2005
    I've wanted to move to the US for a long time.

    I really want to make the move in about 4 years - after I finish Uni.

    However, I have been informed on here, via the US Embassy, and immigration sites - that the only way to enter the US on a permanent basis is:

    1. Via marriage.
    2. Via a relative (mothers, father, sons and daughters are classed as relatives - cousins, brother, sisters, aunts, uncles etc are not)
    3. Via the green card 'lottery' which only underprivaledged countries are granted to participate in. Unfortunatley, the UK is not on the list. They let in 80,000 people a year that way.

    So unless someone can prove me wrong, looks like the OP's cousin and me, are not gonna live in the US ever.
  11. balamw Moderator


    Staff Member

    Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    For one thing, you can live in the US for extended periods of time without being a permanent resident. F, J and H visas in particular generally allow for rather extended stays.

    You missed also missed one way of obtaining permanency. A failry major one.

    Employers can also petition for adjustment to permanent status while on some other kind of visa, like an H visa.

    pianoman is also correct in that most congresscritters have staffers whose job is exclusively to deal with constituents' immigration issues.

  12. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a


    Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    From the literature I've read (as I was considering moving, but am now looking into BC, Canada) it's extremely difficult for an individual with no family over in the States to get a green card.

    If she would be qualified (i.e. degree or trade certificate) it is still extremely difficult, and she would need to prove that there is no American that can adequately do the job she is being sponsored for - as you can appreciate, no easy job. On top of that, she would actually need to find a sponsor; and again because of the nature of the task not many companies are interested.

    Wish her luck...:(

Share This Page