iMove & FCPX events and projects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Badrottie, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Hello everyone…

I really enjoyed working some of videos on iMovie 09 and Final Cut Pro X….it was fun expericing…Now my question is….I have cleaned all iMovie and FCPX events and projects folders after I uploaded to YouTube and my Blog I hope it is safe to remove them and also can I move those projects and events folders to external USB/Firewire hard drive and work from there so I can have enough space on my internal HD…is it possible or can't move them?

I thank you for your comments if possible.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I don't know about FCPX, but with iMovie, when you connect an external drive, it should show in the Project and Events Library sidebar. Just drag a Project to the drive icon and drop it. You should get a prompt as to whether you want to copy across the Events associated with the Project. Say Yes if you want to clear out iMovie on your Mac, otherwise you won't be able to work on the Projects again.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Both iMovie and FCP X read form ext drives, make sure the folders are titled "iMovie Projects", "iMovie Events", "Final Cut Projects", "Final Cut Events" :apple:

4. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I don't know of iMovie, but in FCP X it is better to move your stuff from inside the program, not via the Finder.
    Got me a bit into dodo once when I moved clips from the FCS scratch folder into the FCP X event folder in the Finder.

5. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

Thank you so much guys!!! I really apprecite it very much for all of your help!!!

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

+1...I use pretty much this system for archival purposes. I have a 1TB (shortly to be increased to 3) sitting in a powered hub connected to my Time Capsule. All archived material goes to this drive keeping as much free space on my Mac's as possible.

It's a good idea to have a system so that you can alway's locate things later. I only use my 3TB TC for backups although you can also use it to store other files if you wish.